Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Codename Dragonfly  (Read 47080 times)

Offline bno

Codename Dragonfly
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 10:35:29 PM »
I will chime in lightly.  Send a sketch to Bob Martin - he's old school, has as great afinity for the original design and a personal relationship with Ken.  He's also a graphic artist.  I'd give you an honest 2 cents if want it.  Send a sketch to a couple of the young guns who represent people born after 1980.  You need to get signed NDA's (non-disclosure agreements) and somehow serialize the sketch so you know who gets which sketch so you can hold people accountable if it gets into the publich domain.

The primary consideration is that the guitar has to feel and play great, standing AND sitting, and it has to sound great with access to the broadest sonic palate worthy of the Parker name.  A flexible design would accomplish broad appeal.  

And it's okay if it looks dangerous, 'cause for it to succeed, it has to be a killer.

The Taz could be a launching point....

Oh, and thanks for asking.  Very impressed.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 10:39:00 PM by bno »
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

Codename Dragonfly

Offline www_Ps_com

Codename Dragonfly
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 04:30:08 AM »
Billy, just a couple of thoughts on ways to tackle this project:

- if you wanna go methodically about this, (and I'd recommend that, in order to minimize the number of wrong choices and maximize the number of right choices), you'll probably want to get someone in with a scientific background in economics and/or psychology and let them do a CONJOINT ANALYSIS. Basically this means systematically evaluating the "perceived utility" each component of the guitar adds to the total "utility" the guitar represents.

- depending on how you weigh in the risk of competitors "stealing" ideas (there is no need to give away all the information), it might be worth a thought going totally public with this. That is to say letting a wide audience of guitar players participate in the process by opening threads and/or adding a survey in various of the big and/or exclusive guitar forums: "Help designing the next Parker guitar to your liking". Whether you actually use the opinions expressed there doesn't really matter, but doing this is a very low cost measure for attracting a lot of attention to the Parker brand. To my knowledge this hasn't done before by any guitar company.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 05:24:01 AM by www_Ps_com »

Codename Dragonfly

Offline Doulos

Codename Dragonfly
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 06:18:30 AM »
Thanks so much for letting us give you input!

23 or 24 Frets: I personally was drawn not only to the fast neck of the fly but also having 24 frets.  But, if you want to innovate for new pick ups, I would totally be willing to sacrifice a fret for that.

Shape: To me the shape of the fly with the headstock and horns makes me think Parker. I really love the headstock of the fly.  The body is what I would be more willing to give up the shape of than the headstock/neck.  I know some think the horns are not that comfortable on a fly.  I never had a problem with it myself.

wood choices, pickup configurations and pickup choices:  What would be cool is to have plug-in modules with different types of pick up configurations and pickup choices along with your wood choice.  You would just snap in and out the configuration of pickups and pick up choices you want.  You could limit the combinations to a few and be able to get all of the possiblilites anyone would want.  You could sell the modules based on your 3 different types of target groups.  Choices that I think could be possibilities are: piezo, midi, Roland GK, Line 6 Variax, single coil, humbucker, series and paralell, sustaniac, moog guitar, etc...(am I missing anything?)  Maybe, you could have your choice of trem system, tuning system, hardtail, etc... Then, you could also choose the type of wood you want.  You could call it the "Chameleon Fly".  You could make any sound you want. :)

Doulos
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Fly Mojo Flame Blue (born 11/10/05, 9th one that day) > Line 6 POD X3 Live  > P.A. > Traynor K4 (tube setting for monitor)
Doulos
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Fly Mojo Flame Blue (born 11/10/05, 9th one that day) > Line 6 X2 XDS-Plus Digital Wireless System (full bandwidth) > Line 6 POD X3 Live  > P.A. > Traynor K4 (tube setting for monitor)

Codename Dragonfly

Offline dmackenzie

Codename Dragonfly
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 08:44:59 AM »
I sincerely wish that I were in a position, either as having a familiarity with the more technical aspects of guitar production, or just plain being a visionary so that I could in some way contribute to the design of this new Guitar. I've been very much made a fan of parker and am very excited to see what becomes of this forum-influenced fly. I do have to say, though, I am very impressed that such a level of management would take such a keen interest in the opinions expressed here - particularly to go so far as to request the input from a lucky few. Being a constant creeper... checking in here at least 3 times a day, I know who I'd pick for the three... sadly, my own name is about 10th on that list. BUT, if you need a sub-30 year-old demographic opinion, I'll volunteer myself:D

Duncan

Fly Classic Tangerine
Nitefly-M
Ibanez JS2000
Guild GAD 40C
Fly Classic Tangerine
Nitefly-M
Twister Amps Dust Devil

Codename Dragonfly

Offline kwcabs

• http://www.kwcabs.com
Codename Dragonfly
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 02:59:46 PM »
Hi Bill, I'd also be glad to help out, especially since you mention wood choices.  Obviously doing what I do I have a lot of experience with wood and the way it reacts so I'd be glad to weigh in if you like.  Feel free to email me.  I'm very curious about all of this too.  :)

Kurt Wyberanec
Owner of KWCABS guitar speaker cabinets.  We specialize in making simply the best speaker cabinets out there, constructed out of top-quality hardwoods, standard lines as well as custom work.  WWW.KWCABS.COM

Check out my Parker Supreme here www.kwcabs.com/parker%20page.htm

Codename Dragonfly

Offline Nefarius

• The Nefarius Homepage
Codename Dragonfly
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2009, 08:57:41 PM »
Working in Design & Graphics of course I'd be very curious about the new shape. I can imagine the process to be a daunting task torn between coming up with something different, innovative and new while making sure it's still a Parker. Crocodiles to the left and alligators to the right, it seems... [;)]

As far as features and ideas go I'll have to start from where I am.

The 24 frets... well, I love them and after owning 24 fret guitars exclusively for several years it would be somthing very difficult to part with. But then again I don't plan on buying any guitars soon, no matter how many there might be I'd love to have (even non-24s like the VOX Virage). But as long as it's a Parker neck and plays like one I guess fret count won't be an issue as long as one can choose and still get a 24.

Same goes for a 7string Fly. I see why many would like to have one and I'd consider it great if there was a Fly7 but then again over the last years there popped up several quite nice seven string guitars for moderate prices and I never got one. So I'm not the target audience. Though the existence of a Fly7 would most likely add fuel to many fires for those who always wanted a 7string and those whose sole reason for not getting a Fly was that there didn't exist a 7string.

I can see why a very expensive mold for a 7 string Parker tremolo is a delicate topic. On the other hand I've played a Floyd Rose axe for many years and finally leaving that era behind and having the Parker trem on my Deluxe had a definite feeling of freedom to it I wouldn't want to trade for anything. With the experience gained on Vernon's FR-equipped Fly I think it should be an option to use a FR for a Fly7 but nothing exclusive. I also like the idea of a fixed bridge Fly7. And if those two work out maybe that mold will become an option some time later.

And that fancy electronics some might dream of... they sure are cool but won't find many buyers and thus might not be feasible in a non-custom model.

Maybe a little modular thinking with the different shapes (Ken-style, single cut, new shape), 6 or 7 strings, 22 or 24 frets, different wood options, different pickup configurations, a midi option, fixed/Parker/FR bridge options. Even those modules which don't add a lot of new elements could result in some very interesting combinations that could lead to some great guitars - both from a musicians point of view and the business point of view.

And by the way I think it's great to try to incorporate the players in that process. And deservingly so! Rarely (dare I say never?) I've seen a forum or any other form of online community that mature, creative, devoted and investing that much time and work simply because they love those guitars to bits while still being open minded for new ideas and future Fly models.

Let's get to work.

"Keep it secret. Keep it safe." (no, I don't wear a pointy hat) [;)]

Greetings...
Nef
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 09:01:23 PM by Nefarius »

Codename Dragonfly

Offline Strandwolf

• http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577969013
Codename Dragonfly
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2009, 09:28:27 PM »
Lots of helpful ideas up above. All that I can say, in agreement or addition, is that while 22 frets is not a problem, fretboard inlays would be, in that the uniform dark fretboard is bold and mysterious--many witnesses to one's playing, such as the nubile ladies flocking to my performances, think that the dude rockin' out is intuitive and highly talented at memorizing positions on the neck, on account that they are unaware of the fact that there's those itty bitty dot markers on the top edge of the neck. Slick, huh?!

The dragon thing--seems a bit adolescent and perhaps over-the-top macho. The marketing concept might be more suitable for the budget import line of Parkers--or another of the company brands entirely, such as Washburn.

If this thing ends up gaudy, hokey, and/or corny, it will sully the Parker logo. That will PO a lot of the fuddy duddy traditionalists, especially those on the forum who periodically laud the original Wilmington DE vs. the present Mundelein IL era.

I have a hand in each camp, so to speak, given my 3 Parkers.

That python hide squabble will look like tiddly winks in comparison to a screwed-up Dragonfly-but look at the controversy that brewed over the relatively traditional snakeskin Parkers. They bombed.

But then that's why you're consulting us at this early point in the planning.

Might I suggest you increase your production numbers on the revised Nylon? And also the Artist and the Bronze? Make 5 times as many (maintaining or even improving quality control) and cut the MSRP in half. You'll come out ahead in terms of profitability and brand awareness.

Now Ken Parker designed the Parkers and sold the brand and patent licenses to USMC. I don't blame the company for wanting to improve and expand the original design(s), and in a number of regards that has been accomplished...kudos! But look at Gibson and Fender--they still sell the heck out of true to form Les Pauls and Stratocasters. They come up with new models and call them Gibsons and Fenders, but they also started out with diverse models. When a guitar design is not like a Les Paul, it doesn't get called a Les Paul. Maybe a "junior"....  [:D]

The Dragonfly ought to be instantly recognizable to Parker afficionadoes as a Parker. Headstock, neck, even body.... I love my Single Cutaway but can't help but consider it not quite a Parker--it could be a Steinberger or other carbon fiber-fortified brand of instrument--not that their manufacturing process or end result is all that similar to the SC, but you get my feeling here. The SC also has 22 frets and weighs 6 lbs 13 oz, so it departs in several significant ways from the Classic (or Deluxe) Parker, aside from tonewoods and pickups.

In closing, I am looking forward to my complimentary prototype and accept shipments via USPS, FedEx, and UPS.

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. - Jorge Luis Borges
Parkers: Pick, cap, T-shirt, clock, and other assorted accouterments

Codename Dragonfly

Offline sfw

Codename Dragonfly
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2009, 08:29:13 AM »
Terry,

Although I was on the tour, I would say many of those above would have much more guitar experience to lend than I. The only suggestion I would make, even though it may increase the thickness thus weight, would be to be able to use standard HB and SC pups. That would make it MUCH easier for the people wanting different pups and for the guitar techs and tinkerers out there to play around with their dragonfly. From a manufacturering perspective, it may also let you all move to standard run pups to decrease the manufacturering cost a little. Just my 2c.

I wish you luck with this development too. We've tried this process numerous times with our customer as well (we're a manufacturer too). Some have gone very well with their design input, some not so well. But designing without input probably has the same number of problems, just different one. THANKS for the inclusion.
- Scott

PM10; Few Nitefly's; Franken-Fenders
Wiggles Murray, Barbie Electric w/matching mic, American Idol electric, Pink Hello Kitty

Codename Dragonfly

Offline mountaindewaddict

Codename Dragonfly
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2009, 09:36:20 AM »
Hey Terry, is this a great forum or what?  I love all the creative ideas on here.  Let me add a few more:

Perhaps the DragonFly should have the following:
1. A S-5 configuration (5 single coils, with a five-way selector switch).  The two "double coils" would be connected to push-pull pots on the mag volume and mag tone that would drop out the inner coil.  Perhaps there could even be a switch on the inside of the cavity to change from series to parallel wiring.

As an aside, you may want to consider sending a body blank
         to Lace and have them create these 5 pups.  If they used the
         Alumitone stuff, that would compensate in the weight dept.
         and the pups could be very thin too.

2. A dragonfly is a bug.  So it might be cool (if you're looking for unique paint schemes), to give it kind of a hexagonal "bug's eye" treatment with a flip-flop iridescent paint option, but offer it in standard Parker colors too for the traditionalists.

3. If you change the body style, PLEASE maintain the original Parker headstock.  Visually, that says "Parker" just about as much as anything.  I played the new 3x3, as you'll recall, and it's really great, but a new body style should still have something that it definitely Parker about it.

4. Please stay away from modeling.  Almost every Parker player has some kind of effects or sound shaping stuff they prefer over models.  Besides, you already offer the AB signature model for modeling freaks.

5. I really liked the tone of the new SC (P-60?), so if you want to take away a couple frets for mellow-er tone on the neck pup, that seems like a good trade to me.

6. As far as wood goes, I'd stick with something light and resonant.  Especially if you change the body shape, it will be crucial for Fly loyalists to not lose any of the other great advantages of a Fly (light weight, perfect neck, great tone).

More ideas as they occur.

PS - I'm not the most skilled player here, and only own one Fly, but I also probably live closest, so if you're looking for someone to come up and do some testing or workshop some ideas, I'm your guy!

Casey

Gear:
Parker Fly Deluxe (in Ruby Red), Digitech GNX4, other stuff...
"Remember, if at first you don't succeed, you're doing it wrong."
God Bless!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 09:40:28 AM by mountaindewaddict »
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Codename Dragonfly

Offline Monsieur Obscure

• http://monsieurobscure.com
Codename Dragonfly
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2009, 04:16:27 PM »
Not to even mention the nearly myriad fantastic and thought-provoking ideas and recommendations that everyone has already made in such a short time, the suggested 'plug and play' pickup concept is very intriguing to me.

quote:
Originally posted by mountaindewaddict

A dragonfly is a bug...

Casey

Just wanting to reemphasize this fact/angle/aspect. Dragons have their place, and it's only natural for them in the world of guitars to be an image associated with Metal in its various forms. But dragonflies conjure - among other things - simple, elegant, oriental aesthetics and somehow in my mind are thus a fitting Parkeresque image. But I am a tad bit obscure so take it for what it's worth. [:D]
Again, the DragonFly designation is extremely picturesque and should not be ultimately dropped once ready for production in favor of something utterly pedestrian like 'D-70', or something to that effect... That, to me would be disappointing. To reframe what I said in a slightly different way: An aptly poetic name/title conjures certain imagery that enhances (in this case, an instrument) in one's mind, while letters and numbers tend to be rather cold, abstract, left-brain, and perhaps just downright boring.  Kind of like how an album title can mold how you view or think of an album. The same applies to song titles and songs, band names and bands, and even album cover artwork and albums. To me these kind of associations are strong and not to be taken lightly... Particularly by anyone involved in marketing anything... Anyhow.

the first picture I posted here seems to have been moved, so this is a fitting replacement... [:D]

Cheers.

~ Christopher

"...cultivate eloquent silence..."
- St Gregory of Sinai

« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 06:41:40 AM by Monsieur Obscure »
Cheers.

~ Christopher

- St Gregory of Sinai

Codename Dragonfly

Offline mountaindewaddict

Codename Dragonfly
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2009, 04:29:17 PM »
What a rich palette of ideas and colors from our Creator!  

Here's a cool article on dragonflies that might provide some imaginative fodder for the designers of the DragonFly:
http://www.rvc.ac.uk/AboutUs/News/pr_dragonfly_may08.cfm

Casey

Gear:
Parker Fly Deluxe (in Ruby Red), Digitech GNX4, other stuff...
"Remember, if at first you don't succeed, you're doing it wrong."
God Bless!
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Codename Dragonfly

Offline Monsieur Obscure

Codename Dragonfly
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2009, 05:14:40 PM »

AMEN.

Cheers.

~ Christopher

- St Gregory of Sinai

« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 05:16:09 PM by Monsieur Obscure »
Cheers.

~ Christopher

- St Gregory of Sinai

Codename Dragonfly

Offline Strandwolf

• http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577969013
Codename Dragonfly
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2009, 03:34:04 PM »
I like 'em. They're "harmless"...I'm a wildlife nut so have paid attn to the lil devils. Once I saw a bigger blue one (the term blue doesn't begin to describe the irridescence) riding the top of a smaller brown one and I followed them to a landing spot where I could scope out the mating ritual--except the blue guy had munched thus far about half the thorax/chest of the littler brown dude. Quite grizzly. It's an airborne jungle....[V]
Parkers: Pick, cap, T-shirt, clock, and other assorted accouterments

Codename Dragonfly

Offline Monsieur Obscure

Codename Dragonfly
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2009, 08:14:25 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Strandwolf

Lots of helpful ideas up above. All that I can say, in agreement or addition, is that while 22 frets is not a problem, fretboard inlays would be, in that the uniform dark fretboard is bold and mysterious--many witnesses to one's playing, such as the nubile ladies flocking to my performances, think that the dude rockin' out is intuitive and highly talented at memorizing positions on the neck, on account that they are unaware of the fact that there's those itty bitty dot markers on the top edge of the neck. Slick, huh?!

Hilarious, Strandwolf! Good point. [;)]

Cheers.

~ Christopher

- St Gregory of Sinai

Cheers.

~ Christopher

- St Gregory of Sinai

Codename Dragonfly

Offline BrainWorm

Codename Dragonfly
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2009, 02:54:24 AM »
Ever had a Praying Mantis look at you? You know what he is thinking if he were bigger.

"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."
"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."