Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Toni Macalpine  (Read 1642 times)

Offline ADV

Toni Macalpine
« on: September 02, 2005, 12:53:12 AM »
I guess nobody has mentioned him yet.

He plays guitar and keyboards in Vai's band now but he had some pretty good neo-classical albums in the late 80's as well as some amazing fusion stuff with Planet X (with Derek Sherinian) and CAB.

I would deffinately recommend a listen to CAB or Planet X for something a little different.

After listening to his CD's and seeing him live, I honestly believe he is a better al;l around guitarist than his boss Mr. Vai. His playing is way more consistent and proficient, and he also has the melodic variety and innovation which most shredders do not have. The instrument just comes more naturally to him than to other guitar players. This dude is a freak. He is an AMAZING guitarist. There is nothing he cannot play - really. He is also a concert pianist and violonist. [:I]

Toni Macalpine

Offline FlyingAndi

• http://www.flying-woodruff.com
Toni Macalpine
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2005, 04:02:48 AM »
Tony really is an amazing musician.
I have his Violent Machine CD, but I can't listen to it because his guitar sound is soooo bad. (Worse than Randy Rhoads and EVH [}:)] )

Andi

1999 Parker Fly Supreme

1999 Parker Fly Supreme

Toni Macalpine

Offline loumt123

Toni Macalpine
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 09:56:14 AM »
Tony is very talented. Seeing him play live with vai was certainly a treat, especially when he threw down a keyboard solo. [;)]. I wouldn't say he's better than vai. They have two completely different styles. They are amazing in their own seperate but equal ways. and by the way, my favorite macalpine song is hundreds of thousands[8D]

Toni Macalpine

Offline ADV

Toni Macalpine
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2005, 07:44:08 PM »
He has far greater natural ability than Vai. I don't mean to knock on Steve because he has been an inspiration all my life. Steve is very talented at composing unique phrasing etc., but I have seen and heard Toni play some stuff that is far beyond anything I have heard Vai play.

Toni Macalpine

Offline loumt123

Toni Macalpine
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2005, 07:54:39 PM »
how can you even say one is better than the other? They are both incredible in their own right. Vai is an innovator. He takes guitar to a completely new level. Not only does he have the natural ability to create unique sounds with his guitar and do amazing things, but he plays flawlessly while doing so, and his playing looks incredibly elegant. I suggest you search for info on the musical piece "fire strings". It is a ridiculously difficult piece. I still see both musicians as equals but in different light.

Toni Macalpine

Offline ADV

Toni Macalpine
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 11:39:57 PM »
cmpkllyrslf96 what unit of measurement are you using when you say they are equal??? My opinion is just as qualified as yours.

Dude relax
I am juist stating my opinion based on seeing and listening to both guitarists over the years, and based on my experience as a guitarist. You are obviously a big Steve Vai fan and I am a fan too and I agree he is an inovator. it is what differantiates him from the rest. I agree with everything you said about steve. I still think that even though they are both incredible, Toni's playing comes a lot more easy to him than Steve's who makes it look elegant but has admitted himself that playing guitar does not come easy to him.