Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I Think This Really Is Goodbye  (Read 12769 times)

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
I Think This Really Is Goodbye
« on: March 29, 2009, 07:19:24 PM »
Due to recent unfortunate developments, I find myself probably being homeless very soon. I have no idea what the future looks like now that I have been laid off from what I was told was a still secure job only a week and a half ago.

Without any savings, no severence pay at all, having nothing of value to sell and unemployment being only 25% of what I was making at my cut hours income, me and my family are facing some very hard times. It appears that I get to lose everything that I have worked for the last 20 years. That's what I get for being a nice and too trusting a person.

I don't anticipate having my website (DIYguitarist.com) being in existence after Dec. 2009, as I won't have money for luxuries like that. I might even have to sell my beloved Mojo Nitefly for food and whatever other few things I have left for that matter.

It's been nice knowing you all. Take care.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams
http://improvisingguitarists.ning.com/profile/PaulMarossy
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 07:49:50 PM by Paul Marossy »

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 09:05:39 PM »
Hang in there Paul. No doubt you are in for some tough, tough times. Keep your health. Thats worth more than anything. Thats not a cliche. Its for real. Remember that because its easy to forget.

Keep your eyes and ears open. Flip burgers if you have to, or work at Radio Shack for petes sake...

Keep trying to look to land on your feet...eventually.

The anxiety you are hit with can be counter productive. Be aware of that and keep a cool head even if you have to fake it. Excersize every day whether you think you can afford the time or not.

Get out a resume at every one of your prior company's competetors. Dont burn bridges where you were laid off either, no matter how tempting.

Look for something with benefits. Maintanence engeneer at Hospital or for the city, school or county.  Be wary of commission jobs right now such as real estate, insurance, or car sales.

Turn those creative engines you have churning into a way to survive.

Best of luck to you.

A few Flys in my soup
A few Flys in my soup

Offline kwcabs

• http://www.kwcabs.com
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 03:43:09 AM »
Ditto on Bill's comment Paul, put in some hard work and effort to find something better for yourself with long term possibilities and do what you have to in the mean time.  You're certainly not alone, and use some of that free time you might end up having to search for any help from the government you may be entitled to beyond unemployment.  Not sure where you are located, but ever since 9/11 there have been a lot of local community groups set up that have helped out people who find themselves in unfortunate situations like yourself that try to help community members with the basic essentials.  

Don't give up your site, especially if it is generating any income whatsoever.  Depending what you're spending on a host, it shouldn't cost you more than $100 a year to keep it going.  Send plenty of emails or if possible calls, to any companies that you think might be able to benefit from advertising on your site and you might find yourself making hundreds of extra $ a month for virtually nothing.  However, be sure to do so in a very professional way so, and sound confident.  If you don't already have a detailed hit counter get one up there so you can provide real traffic data to those possible advertisers as a selling point.  You'd be surprised how this can add up.  Being you're working with DIY type products the first people to consider would be suppliers that your customers might typically have to use besides yourself.  This might be just enough help to keep you afloat till you find a more permament solution for your situation.

Keep a positive outlook and don't feel desperate even though it may be easy to, and you'll find yourself in a better way.  Best of luck.

Kurt Wyberanec
Owner of KWCABS guitar speaker cabinets.  We specialize in making simply the best speaker cabinets out there, constructed out of top-quality hardwoods, standard lines as well as custom work.  WWW.KWCABS.COM

Check out my Parker Supreme here www.kwcabs.com/parker%20page.htm

Offline gryder

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 07:09:56 AM »
Paul, I have a professional re-sellers hosting account. If you need it hosted, just ask.

I know it doesn't help on the bigger picture but fingers cross.

Greg

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 09:05:01 AM »
Thanks for the care and concern guys. Not having a degree and having done only consulting engineering type work thru OTJT for the last twenty years, I have no idea even what type of work I should look for. I don't feel qualified for anything. And I don't see a potential employer placing much value on me, either.

Construction here is just about at a dead standstill. I don't think I'm going to get another engineering related job with having only twenty years of experience. Employers can pick the best of the best right now, guys with masters degrees and phds at whatever pay they are willing to give them.

I know that I have a lot of good qualities and that I am intelligent and resourceful, but how does that translate into some kind of a job? I don't even know where to start.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 09:05:35 AM by Paul Marossy »

Offline mountaindewaddict

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 09:48:44 AM »
Okay Paul, understand that I'm a minister AND a problem solver, so while this may come across as "preachy," I'm just trying to help.  I like you, and I want good things for you.  Try these ideas on for size:

1. Move.  Get out of Vegas.  If you're struggling economically, do your homework and find somewhere that's much cheaper to live. *

2. Be positive.  Attitude is Altitude.  Don't sell yourself short on the job front.  You have 20 years of experience!  If you think, "I don't have a degree, just experience" you'll never get a job!  But if you walk in there and say, "I have 20 years of experience with a top-rated firm in one of the most successful local economies in America.  I have experience, I work hard, and I work cheap.  When can I start?"  You'll be amazed home many doors that kind of confidence will open.

3. You're a husband and father, you don't have option of giving up!  Never give up!  Never quit!  People you love more than life itself are looking to you for answers... let that drive you on!  Go!  Go!  Go!  You can do this!

4. Be renewed in your mind.  Draw upon the resources of the Eternal One.  Release your troubles into His hands, and receive from His Word the strength you need to carry on.  

Casey

*PS - I would suggest as possible alternatives to Vegas the following places.

1. Anywhere you have lots of family.  They are a great support network.  

2. Think about the central MidWest or Rural South.  Those places are just flat cheaper to live than anywhere else!  My in-laws just built a 1750 square foot new home on 5 acres in rural SW Missouri for less than $100,000.  Plus, the economies in these areas tend to be more stable than larger communities.

3. Don't forget the world-wide community.  You never know what overseas firm wants to appeal to American dollars and wants to hire an American engineer to draw American business.  Just look around!

Casey

Gear:
Parker Fly Deluxe (in Ruby Red), Digitech GNX4, other stuff...
"Remember, if at first you don't succeed, you're doing it wrong."
God Bless!
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 09:56:23 AM »
Casey:

I'm not an engineer, I can't legally call myself that even though I have been doing true engineering for 19 of those 20 years.

Moving is not that simple. Are we supposed to just move somewhere and hope everything works out? My wife's family lives in California, but none of them are really in a position to help us. And I hear that California is having a bigger fiscal crisis than Nevada is. $2000-3000 will evaporate very quickly, and that is literally about all that we will have left after our utilities are paid and the next car payments are made for this month.

Yeah, I am a husband and a father, but I can not provide for my family. Ultimately, I am responsible for whatever happens to them. And now my son is having ear problems, and my beautiful daughter is needs braces because some of her teeth are erupting way above where they are supposed to, and I can do nothing about either one because I have no health insurance after today. If I didn't have a faith in God, there would be absolutely no hope for me whatsoever. And I have very little hope right now, considering these circumstances. If everything the Bible says about God is true, He will need to prove it, and soon because my plight is desperate.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 10:06:37 AM by Paul Marossy »

Offline mountaindewaddict

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 10:13:31 AM »
Paul, I'll email you.

Casey

Gear:
Parker Fly Deluxe (in Ruby Red), Digitech GNX4, other stuff...
"Remember, if at first you don't succeed, you're doing it wrong."
God Bless!
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Offline Lwinn171

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 11:24:24 AM »
Paul,

I know I'm not alone in hating that your situation has worsened. I just found an ad for a HVAC designer, and I'll include the link. Take a look at different areas of the country for work. If you have a job to move to, then relocating makes lots of sense. The job market here (in NC) isn't great, but it's a lot better than Vegas in that regard, and the cost of living is lower, housing more stable, etc... There are Universities and a large health care sector here (in the triangle - Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill and RTP), and they are more stable than most industries currently are.

Is there a way to sell the car(s) that you are making payments on? Getting some cheaper wheels may help. I've never owned a car that wasn't paid for, and still got where I needed to go. At my income level, I may never own a new car. Not having a car payment is key to my survival.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/egr/1081839794.html

Faith in God may be a spiritual comfort, but it is faith in yourself and faith in your family to adapt to your circumstances that will get you through this. Good people of every faith (or even none at all) are being affected every day by this economic crisis.

We are all pulling for you, and look forward to a better day for you and your family.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 11:40:34 AM by Lwinn171 »

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe
various amps, various toys

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 02:09:36 PM »
Lawrence,

I hear what you are saying. I know that I have to take action, and not be passive and just hope that God will just drop something into my lap. But I can petition Him to bring justice where injustice has been suffered. I have suffered through several in my case.

I sent an email to the email address to the link you posted. Who knows, maybe something will come of it...

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Offline Lwinn171

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 05:04:01 PM »
Paul, yours is one of those cases I wish I could light a candle and curse the darkness. I know you will find a way to stay alive and protect your family. If you wind up down here, I'll help you move in.[:)]
Building and construction took a hit, down here... but nowhere near as bad as Vegas. People I know in the trades seem to be finding a way, and I think the worst is over for them now. It'll be a slow climb, but I think they feel it's starting to get better. There may well be opportunities for you in my area, other than the one I sent you. Have a look under Raleigh at CraigsList.

Best wishes, Paul...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 05:06:01 PM by Lwinn171 »

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe
various amps, various toys

Offline Strandwolf

• http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577969013
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 08:45:37 PM »
A few thoughts off the cuff:

Do not make another car payment. That is throwing good money after bad. Have a contingency plan for when they come to take it away. Do not keep any appreciable funds in bank accounts. You may have authorized the car people to dip in.... Do not fret about "honor" and "obligation"--you are in a struggle and the Marquis of Queensberry Rules just went bye bye.

Same thing on your mortgage. Not another cent. I don't know what the legal eviction regs are in Nevada, but in Calif. it takes months and months if you use the legal stalling maneuvers at your disposal. Get squared away on the procedure regarding this and WORK IT to your maximum advantage. Again, honor be darned.

Is your family on food stamps yet, as I recommended you do about a month ago?
I just got on it, Paul, and your family will eat very well, and not have to spend a nickel of that scarce cash. BELIEVE ME.

I agree with many others: get out of Las Vegas. There are areas of the country that are recession-resistant. And, the federal government is till hiring. All kinds of stuff that your skill set might dovetail into: FEMA work (rewiring after Red River flood, etc.)

That's it for now. Basically, pinch those pennies--tell the auto and mortgage people: NO GOT. NO CASH for GROCERIES.

We are working with you, Paul.
Parkers: Pick, cap, T-shirt, clock, and other assorted accouterments

Offline Monsieur Obscure

• http://monsieurobscure.com
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 12:22:52 AM »
Paul, my heart goes out to you.

If you end up desperate and without shelter we can definately make room for you guys around here in the Phoenix, AZ area should you head this. Just give me a holler via Email if you find yourself in a bind and nowhere else to turn.

I utilized Food Stamps in California with my young family some years back and can likewise testify with Strandwolf to their usefulness (surely you've paid more than your 'fair share' of taxes and, in my opinion, have absolutely no reason to feel ashamed, guilty, or whatever for leaning upon such a support in a time of genuine need).

My question is: Where are the 'Bailouts' for the honest, hardworking Americans such as yourself who truly need a helping hand in a time of undeserved crisis and hardship...?

Cheers.

~ Christopher

"...cultivate eloquent silence..."
- St Gregory of Sinai

Cheers.

~ Christopher

"...cultivate eloquent silence..."
- St Gregory of Sinai

Offline plan-x

• http://www.myspace.com/wichmanbrewster
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 04:01:55 AM »
Have faith Paul, the lord is moving in your life and going to bring a new opportunity. He's positioning you and your heart. Follow his lead and be patient. Lean not on your own understanding.

Plan-x

http://www.myspace.com/wichmanbrewster
00' Fly deluxe S2 HSS
02' NiteFly P (Poplar) HH

John W...in the Mojave
Plan-x
http://www.myspace.com/wichmanbrewster

Offline BrainWorm

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 04:08:16 AM »
I'm hoping for the best for you Paul. Having gone through my dreams and life crumbling a few years ago I know what it is like to wake up in the middle of the night shaking with fear. And where were all the caring and compassionate organizations and people that are glorified daily. Not for me. But remember, the people who love you, love you rich or poor, on the upside or on the down and out, especially your kids. If you find you have one or two friends while you are struggling, that's probably better than average.

"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."
"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."