Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: fabric finishes  (Read 1138 times)

Offline 4mula97

fabric finishes
« on: April 05, 2009, 05:24:34 PM »
im thinking of experimenting on a new strat copy i just picked up, i was looking for hints on using a cloth/ fabric and leave the weave pattern visible similar to a rainsong.  any thoughts?

99Fly Classic, MM
ESP LTD X-Tone PC1V
Some cheap strat copy that sounds great!!

fabric finishes

Offline SprayCan

fabric finishes
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 06:48:26 PM »
Using cheese cloth in the automotive custom paint field , is used to get many cloth type effects , mainly used for producing the carbon fiber look , starting with a black base coat and using tinted grays & pearls .
Or you can  use lace , doilies , or looking at different type fabrics and Layering Kandies over it can give some incredible effects .
Just some food for thought , as I have been an Automotive Painter for 30 years and have done many custom paint jobs ;)

fabric finishes

Offline 4mula97

fabric finishes
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 02:55:33 PM »
thank you spraycan, i have a surplus of fiberglass and im not sure how to paint it with a thin coat to leave the pattern visible, i would like to keep it white, but i dont want to loose the "holographic" look.  what do you think?

99Fly Classic, MM
ESP LTD X-Tone PC1V

fabric finishes

Offline SprayCan

fabric finishes
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 06:17:49 PM »
Cheese cloth isn't the same as fiberglass mat .
What I used to do was lightly dampen the cloth ,and then tape it across the panel tightly , then let it dry ( as it would shrink tightly ) then I use a small paint gun ( maybe spraycans would work , dont know never tried it ) with my color mixed a tad over reduced and lightly sprayed from a distance of about 8-10 inches . I would lift up an edge to peek , to see my effect , and to see if it needed another light coat .

Its more of a trial and error till you get it down , I would try it on something else to get an idea how it works . I may just have to give it a try at work and see what I can come up with , its been a long while since I played around with something creative ;)

fabric finishes

Offline 4mula97

fabric finishes
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 08:47:36 PM »
roger, thanks very much

99Fly Classic, MM
ESP LTD X-Tone PC1V