Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: dark fire!?!  (Read 2395 times)

Offline 4mula97

dark fire!?!
« on: April 06, 2009, 09:06:18 PM »
i love the craftsmanship, and the extent to which parker goes to produce real quality instruments.  now this gibson dark fire thing? if you dont know about it check out their website,  very cool concept, very cool look, but i think that all the "extra features" this guitar offers are nothing more than a gimik.  i enjoy tuning my guitars to different settings, i enjoy the use of multiple pedals while playing.  this guitar takes some of the personality away from the musician and automates it for him or her.  just wondering what the owners of the truly greatest guitars in the world think.

99Fly Classic
ESP LTD X-Tone PC1V
Some cheap strat copy that sounds great!!

dark fire!?!

Offline Nefarius

• The Nefarius Homepage
dark fire!?!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 04:14:42 AM »
Hmmm. Useless crap, nothing more. Never liked Gibsons. Never will.
The Voodoo Juju several years back looked hot, but that's about it.
Don't like the sound, don't like the feel, don't like the look.

Greetings...
Nef
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 04:15:30 AM by Nefarius »

dark fire!?!

Offline Lwinn171

dark fire!?!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 12:54:58 PM »
I used to like certain Gibson's, but find them lacking after getting my 1st Fly. In many ways. This particular Gibson seems to be utilizing some Fly features, like lighter weight (chambered body), and piezo's. They've apparently decided to go with a bridge piezo system, rather than the neck pickup they use on the Epiphone Ultra. The software compatibility is interesting, but not something I'd likely use, though many may find that useful. Depends how well it works.

I don't give a tinkers darn about robot tuning. When one of those little servo's goes bad, or... I have this comical visual in my head about it getting locked in "tighten" mode. But I don't use open tunings, which probably describes a solid majority of players.

Interesting that they Plek it. If they talk that up too much, they risk admitting they make an inferior fretboard, generally. Trying to get closer to Fly playability without doing the things they can't, due to Fly patents? Pleked or not, I can't imagine any Gibson could attain the playability of the Fly. The seamless transition to the body, those silky stainless frets (and the resultant intonation and sustain), the stiffness of the Fly as a whole (due to the Carbon Fiber), the best trem I've ever used... these are all exclusively Parker attributes, and I can't do without them.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 01:03:52 PM by Lwinn171 »

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe
various amps, various toys

dark fire!?!

jwrooker

dark fire!?!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 03:40:31 PM »
You got to admit that's a pretty cool guitar.  We can't on one had celebrate the advanced features of the Fly and bash other innovations just because they come from somewhere else.  I think the Dark Fire guitar has interesting innovations..none that I would ever use, but they are interesting and they would save a performer from having multiple guitars and stomp boxes lettering the stage.  

Today, gimmicks sell and it's fun to watch different manufacturers come up with their latest offerings, but very few of them actually result in a better playing guitar.  The Fly has that one nailed down.

John

98 Fly Classic w/ VPAF's - 98 Fly Concert
02 Fly Classic Hardtail - 07 Single Cut

dark fire!?!

Offline 4mula97

dark fire!?!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 05:12:14 PM »
i agree, with you all.  i think that you will pay alot of money for a few cool features that will not be used enough to warrant the extra money.

99Fly Classic
ESP LTD X-Tone PC1V

dark fire!?!

Offline doombilly

• http://illicitizen.com
dark fire!?!
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 05:24:17 PM »
I can't see needing a bot tuner ever. Funny, I played my first instrument in drop D last night (Hamer bass) just for laughs (w/ bottleneck into the x3live-->PA). But at this point in my life I can't see me needing to change tunings. And shucks I play a Parker nitefly. Sumbetch is always in tune. I'm kind of curious of what the other features were but 1) I've never dug Les Paul models and 2) I could not be bothered to wade through the "Look at our $^@$& AWESOME MARKETING HYPERBOLEEEEEEE."

If anyone could break it down to a couple bullet points about what makes this so neato that'd be cool.

I like a lot of Gibsons but then I've never owned one. I'd like to have a 335 one day. But there are a number of similar beasts made by other companies that are probably a better buy.

http://illicitizen.com

dark fire!?!

Offline 4mula97

dark fire!?!
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 06:11:48 PM »
1- it tunes itself (i dont care who you are, thats pretty cool as long as the tuners dont break or malfunction, they also use a teflon nut to prevent string breakage)
2- it has several onboard tunings styles preset and you can overwrite those with your own
3- its chameleon sound processor mimicks different guitars and effects; strat, tele, chorus. etc
4- (probably the only useful function)  you can adjust and blend the piezo with the other two humbuckers to your liking, now i dare not say that my fly is limited ('cause it isnt) but you can only select acoustic mode or not, either by selecting only acoustic, or a combination of electric and acoustic.  however, my fly 's acoustic sounds so darn great that i wouldnot have to adjust it.

99Fly Classic
ESP LTD X-Tone PC1V

dark fire!?!

Offline MFenkner

dark fire!?!
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 10:20:57 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by 4mula97

1- it tunes itself (i dont care who you are, thats pretty cool as long as the tuners dont break or malfunction, they also use a teflon nut to prevent string breakage)

Unless the tuning precision is a good as a Peterson tuner, the feature would be worthless to me.  I find most inexpensive tuners to not be accurate enough, and I would imagine the tuner built into the Dark Fire is just a typical inaccurate tuner.

Here's an excerpt from a Guitar Player review:

"To talk about how effective the Robot Guitar is at getting itself in tune entails a little explanation. Gibson ships the guitar calibrated for a set of .010s, and with an accuracy setting of roughly one cent. You can adjust for greater or lesser accuracy in the Setup Mode, but there’s a price to pay for increased accuracy: speed. It obviously takes longer to tune more precisely. At the fastest setting, Gibson boasts accuracy of 2.5 cents, which sounds precise until you remember that it means plus or minus 2.5 cents—which can cause two adjacent strings to be off by 5 cents, which is not only audible, but unacceptable. Because my ears were telling me that Mr. Roboto didn’t tune up perfectly on a few occasions, I decided to go for maximum accuracy—even if it meant taking a little longer. This got me closer to being in tune as I jumped from standard to DADGAD to open-E, but my ears and two different digital tuners said that the Robot Guitar only nailed all six pitches about half the time. Generally, there would only be one or two strings out, and, even then, they weren’t out by much. I’d be happy to simply grab the tuning machine, and nudge, say, the low E, but doing so requires that you disengage the tuner button, make the adjustment, and then reengage the button. All of a sudden, our dream of quick, effortless tuning is more complicated."

In comparison, a Peterson tuner has .1 cent accuracy.

Mark
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 10:26:04 AM by MFenkner »

dark fire!?!

Offline Monsieur Obscure

• http://monsieurobscure.com
dark fire!?!
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 10:59:46 AM »
CONCLUSION:

Give me my ears and my fingers over that nightmare of a tuning experience any day. You have to do as much or more work with the Robot tuning system anyway, so you may as well just do it yourself the old fashioned way to begin with...

Thanks for the excellent quote, by the way, Mark. It puts the whole thing in perfect perspective.

Cheers.

~ Christopher

"...cultivate eloquent silence..."
- St Gregory of Sinai

« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 11:02:57 AM by Monsieur Obscure »
Cheers.

~ Christopher

"...cultivate eloquent silence..."
- St Gregory of Sinai

dark fire!?!

Offline 4mula97

dark fire!?!
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 10:07:36 PM »
i agree with jwrooker, we are all die hard fly fans, but we would be naive if we thought that no one could produce a product that is worth crediting.

99Fly Classic
ESP LTD X-Tone PC1V

dark fire!?!

Offline portnoy

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/Huntingdon-United-Kingdom/MusicStreetUK/193947947906?ref=ts
dark fire!?!
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 11:10:07 AM »
I was interested in the dark fire for a while, but i then realised that i can do the same thing with my GK-3 equipped nitefly and my roland vg-99. I can detune it by software instead if i needed to and you can use it in logic pro if i needed to record anything.

00' Nitefly M - natural (with GK-3 installed)
07' ice blue burst deluxe
96' soldano SLO 100 silver croc
marshall 1960a
Roland VG-99

http://improvisingguitarists.ning.com/profile/Kavanprice

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ofE_YYQo-h8

dark fire!?!

Offline 4mula97

dark fire!?!
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 10:14:26 PM »
i still havent seen this thing in stores, but i do want to try it out.  still not gonna buy one, just kinda curious.

99Fly Classic
BC Rich Mockingbird

dark fire!?!

Offline Kuroyama

dark fire!?!
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 10:36:00 AM »
New to Parker rigs.  Just bought a PM20 (Because I play Les Pauls).
Im a bit of a luddite when it comes to guitars I guess because no one seems to implement tech at a reasonable price point...or do it correctly.

Gibson Robots and DarkFires are an ok idea I suppose, but once you flip over the guitar and you see the tuning heads on the back of the guitar are over twice the size of regular tuning heads... its kind of a dealbreaker for me.  That, and the fact that robots tend to have poorer build quality than the base models.  Really NOT the way to lure customers to higher price points IMO.

Anyway, enjoying my PM20 for now Along with an MIJ Nitro finish Epiphone Gold Top, 2 Epi Dots, and 2 MIJ 70s reissue strats.  If I could afford a Fly I hope to someday score a Blond Southern Nitefly with Duncan Hot Rails in the bridge...

Thought reading things like lack of availability of replacement parts does concern me I believe in having backup gear.  Id hate to fall in love with Parker gear and have something like a failed part make me guitarless because I couldnt afford a backup rig and cant buy the part to fix it...