Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SRV'ish finish  (Read 1410 times)

Offline 4mula97

SRV'ish finish
« on: April 16, 2009, 09:54:56 PM »
just a question for the other fly owners here.  i have had my fly since summer 2000.  the finish is starting to wear around the top curve that sits against my chest area.  now i dont mind the look of a well played guitar, but what i dont want to happen is the composite fabric underneath start to fray like fiberglass.  i cant think of a worse feeling that having all those fibers stick in your skin or clothes.  from my experience working on jets i know that carbon fabric fibers will work into your skin and not come out (possibly could cause cancer).  just wondering if this has happened o anyone else?[?]

99Fly Classic
BC Rich Mockingbird
Some cheap strat copy that sounds great!!

SRV'ish finish

Offline Strandwolf

• http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577969013
SRV'ish finish
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 10:37:49 PM »
Here's the trick: when the carbon fibers start to come loose, like those tentacles on a sea anemone-

cf: http://www.valdosta.edu/~jlgoble/Sea%20Anemone%20Diadumene%20Dia%2030cm%201.JPG

git them alphabet decals 'n such and paste them over the trouble spots, the Stevie Ray way.

--> Soon after he got the guitar, Vaughan tried to change the guitar over to a 'left-handed' tremolo to imitate one of his idols, Jimi Hendrix. Because the quality of his 'transformation' was so poor, he went to a truckstop to find something to cover the giant hole he chopped in the body, hence the "CUSTOM" sticker across the bottom of the bridge. He also found some large, prismatic stickers to spell his initials "SRV" on and applied those to the guitar for a little extra flash. His use of the stickers make Number One one of the most recognizable guitars in the history of modern music.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRV_guitars

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. - Jorge Luis Borges
Parkers: Pick, cap, T-shirt, clock, and other assorted accouterments

SRV'ish finish

Offline 4mula97

SRV'ish finish
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 09:11:30 AM »
thank you, the added picture was .......interesting.  i wasnt planning on put big letters all over the guitar, i just want to know if i should use the same epoxy to secure the fibers again.  but ill figure something out.  i was referring to the finish being worn off to the bare wood in the are that my forearm usually sits on the guitar.

99Fly Classic
BC Rich Mockingbird

SRV'ish finish

Offline Strandwolf

• http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577969013
SRV'ish finish
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 09:50:54 AM »
I was just funnin' with you.

You do have a problem, and there are some competent types around here that will step up and get you and your axe squared away. Sorry if I misled you. I'm a joker.
Keep rockin'. You must cherish your Parker, having had and played it for as long as you have. Don't worry, there's a solution, a real one!
Parkers: Pick, cap, T-shirt, clock, and other assorted accouterments

SRV'ish finish

Offline 4mula97

SRV'ish finish
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 10:29:57 AM »
lol, i work with composites for a living and know some pretty tricky ways to fix it if it becomes a problem.  and yes i do love the parker.  as a matter of fact it was the first high end guitar i ever bought, and i really havent looked back since (although the current economy almost forced me to sell).  there is no other guitar that sounds or plays the same.  i just bought a mockingbird strictly because since i was a young teenager i have loved the look of them, but it has no where near the sound i love.  billy gibbons' dirty southern blues and brian setzer's loose jazzy style influence most of what i play (i have some tv jones pick ups on order for the bird).  but anyway, i am looking forward to seeing the finish wear off a little to see what it looks like, i might re-finish it if it doesnt look right.  i just dont want the compostie to wear enough that it compramizes the integrity of the guitar.

99Fly Classic
BC Rich Mockingbird