Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Building my Dream Guitar - advice  (Read 5894 times)

Offline AndyI

• andyinnes.com
Building my Dream Guitar - advice
« on: April 19, 2009, 04:39:28 AM »
I'm getting a Fly Artist built. Going to put RMC's in the bridge.

I really like the look of the quilt maple tops and I'm considering putting a quilt top on the Artist. Does anyone have an opinion on whether that's a good or a bad thing in terms of what it might do to the sound of the guitar?

Andy

Fly Deluxe '96 | Fly Mojo '05 | Mesa Boogie Roadster head + 2 x 12 / 4 x 12 | AER Compact 60 | TC Electronic G System | Lehle stereo switchers and P Split
Solo album Anthems of a Stranger out at www.andyinnes.com or on iTunes

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 07:15:33 AM »
Hi Andy. I dont know if anyone has ever told you before but you've got some awesome equipement [:I]

My feeling is that an Artist with a thin veneer top is bad Karma. Just kind of goes against the aetherial quality that is my idea of the Artist's spirit.

I'm not a big cap fan anyway, but for whatever reason the extra cap doesnt bother me on a Mojo. The Mojo karma is thick, heavey and grounded. Extra mass goes ok with it somehow.

I dont thonk it will have much effect on tone but it will add to the weight a tiny bit. And I like my Artists to be so light they want to float away.

A few Flys in my soup
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 07:19:19 AM by Bill »
A few Flys in my soup

jwrooker

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 08:01:45 AM »
Yeah, don't do that to an Artist.  The Spruce is gorgeous as it is.  Everybody and their second cousin has quilted maple this and that.  Not many have a sold body electric guitar in Spruce.

John

98 Fly Classic w/ VPAF's - 98 Fly Concert
02 Fly Classic Hardtail - 07 Single Cut

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 08:45:19 AM »
Maybe you can have it made from figured spruce? While spruce I have seen doesn't have the figure of maple I have seen spruce with waves and curl in it now that would be special.

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline Dreamsy

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 09:22:18 AM »
Beware that it seems there maybe some limitations of what you want to do with RMC... I've been told lately that it is impossible to use the RMC piezo as the standard fishman (Piezo would be always on and cannot be routed to the 1/4 Jack)... I still don't understand why.

Custom Fly on order !!!
Fly Classic Custom

Offline AndyI

• andyinnes.com
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 10:34:37 AM »
Thanks Alex - the figured spruce sounds like a great idea. I've read a bunch of your very informative posts - they've been very helpful - thanks.

That comment about the RMC's is a showstopper, Dreamsy! I just presumed that the RMC piezos would integrate with the fly using the pf1 micro preamp and would be a pleasant woody alternative to my deluxe and Mojo. I know that the RMC's on the Belew Fly can be switched in or out with the 5-way. Does anyone have more info on this? I'm going to try and check this out with Parker too.

All info is much appreciated.

Andy

Fly Deluxe '96 | Fly Mojo '05 | Mesa Boogie Roadster head + 2 x 12 / 4 x 12 | AER Compact 60 | TC Electronic G System | Lehle stereo switchers and P Split

Offline AndyI

• andyinnes.com
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 10:39:57 AM »
And based on the other advice, I'm tossing the maple cap. I'm actually getting TWO guitars, so I'll beg the guys at AR to let me put the quilt on my VR Fly.  That sound better?

Offline sfw

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 04:29:05 PM »
You can do the same with the RMC piezo as the Fishman piezo. You will need to use the RMC pre-amp and maybe their jack. No sure about the jack part as I've only used their jacks, but the existing jack "may" be compatible.
- Scott

PM10; Few Nitefly's; Franken-Fenders
Wiggles Murray, Barbie Electric w/matching mic, American Idol electric, Pink Hello Kitty

Offline ZenFly

• http://www.dpopro.com
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 09:56:15 AM »
My modded '99 Classic has RMC pickups. The circuit board had to be removed and the RMC powerdrive pre amp was installed. (I have 13 pin out as well). It is set up so the original vol/tone from the Fishman still works for the RMC. The RMC is on or off depending on the mix switch. I can still do the "red" switch ..etc.

With the new Flys, I don't see why it wouldn't be easier to mod ...less circuitry than the old ones. In the old flys the stereo jack was pretty horrible and hard to find direct replacements, but other than that, you shouldn't have any issues with a RMC setup.
'99 Parker Fly Classic w RMC mod

'05 Mojo

Offline Dreamsy

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 10:13:35 AM »
that's what I was thinking, but It came to me from the Factory while my guitar is being made... I hope to hear back on it soon and I'll let you know...

Custom Fly on order !!!
Fly Classic Custom

Offline sfw

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 05:38:53 PM »
Honestly, I'm not nearly as talented as many of the people at the factory, but I've made the conversion on a couple fly's (1pre 1post refined) and a nitefly. The switching is exactly as it was with the original guitar, but I used the RMC piezo pre-amp. Maybe they don't want to do that, which would be unfortunate, because one of the advantages of the RMC piezo pre-amp is it handles each saddle individually, it does not sum the signal to a strip of metal before sending to the pre-amp. I'm sure they can make it work if they want to, the factory folks are a great bunch of guys and gals.
- Scott

Wiggles Murray, Barbie Electric w/matching mic, American Idol electric, Pink Hello Kitty

Offline AndyI

• andyinnes.com
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 10:57:00 AM »
Apparently Parker are having a get-together today and will let me know shortly about the rmc option and all the other stuff I've asked for.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 10:58:23 AM by AndyI »

Offline AndyI

• andyinnes.com
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 11:45:31 AM »
OK - apparently it's official. Just got this from Parker:

We can do the 13-pin output for the RMC’s, but we can’t have them work like the Fishmans.  With the RMC’s you can’t have a power pot or a switch because the wiring does not allow for it.

So I'm thinking back to Fishman piezos. Bummer

Offline Dreamsy

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 12:04:11 PM »
OK, so Now I'm sad that nobody told me this when I get the quote...

Custom Fly on order !!!
Fly Classic Custom

Offline sfw

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 01:22:47 PM »
Andy,

Not exactly sure what switching you're asking about for the RMC then. 13-pin would be for the Midi Out, not piezo out. Piezo should go out 1/4" in stereo with the mags.

I have only installed one Midi Option with the RMC and that on a Tele, but honestly, I think the switching was the same. three way switch for the piezo/mag selector for to the 1/4" stereo jack. I do not believe that the piezo and mag was summed together but one out the tip and one out the ring of the 1/4" The 3-way switch acts more like a on-off/on-on/off-on to a stereo out. THen with the Midi out the 13-pin when in the on-on or off-on position. I sold that guitar, but to someone in town so I'll call them up and see if I can checkout what I did. I'll try to find my RMC wiring diagrams too.

The wiring options get pretty complicated when you add Midi. Without the Midi-13 pin out, using just the RMC saddles and RMC Piezo Pre-Amp, you should be able to do a standard 3-way as described above, although I do not think you can sum the mag and piezo into one mono channel, but unless I was looking at the wiring diagrams again, I can't remember 100%

Without a complete description of what you are trying to accomplish switching wise, I would defer to the Parker guys answer, as you have presumably told them how you want to do the switching and they I'm sure have all the diagrams and have talked with RMC.

If I were to guess, the "hang-up" is on summing mag and peizo into one mono output on the 1/4" jack? This was not an issue for me or the person with the RMC guitars I did.

- Scott