Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Guitar Picks & Vocals  (Read 2054 times)

Offline BrainWorm

Guitar Picks & Vocals
« on: May 01, 2009, 02:37:56 AM »
Strange as it seems, when I practice copying notes on the guitar with vocals, my voice seems to try to mimic the frequency put out by the pick. If the pick has high frequency tendency my voice tries to do high frequency. If the pick is more mellow my voice tries to go more mellow. I was just trying to sing the same note as the string is sounding. I didn't know a voice would try to mimic the tonal frequency also, and it seems to just happen without making a special effort. The voice just does it I guess. It's something I'm still wondering about if it is my imagination.

"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."

Guitar Picks & Vocals

Offline ckyvick

Guitar Picks & Vocals
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 02:39:53 AM »
no imagination dude, you must have quite well developed ears to hear like that, be proud! plucking a note will create overtones, overtones are what gives the "tambre" to the instrument, different picks may cause different overtones and harmonics. different overtones give the tambre of a pick or a fingernail or flesh. this is why other strings occasionally will ring without being plucked, because they are tuned to an overtone of the note played. with out these overtones we would not be able to tell the difference between a guitar and a piano.
heres a wiki page too
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overtone

Guitar Picks & Vocals

Offline BrainWorm

Guitar Picks & Vocals
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 01:57:43 AM »
Wikipedia is so useful, that link led to another interesting information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formants

Guitar Picks & Vocals

Offline Geardog

Guitar Picks & Vocals
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 09:04:50 PM »
Those were great links - Thanks

Sign up for our newsletter & be eligible to win our "Cash & Strings Giveaway."  Details at http://stringdog.net/news.html

Guitar Picks & Vocals

Offline BrainWorm

Guitar Picks & Vocals
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 11:47:53 PM »
When I'm practicing part of the vocals I'll use a pick that had more of the fundamental tone, or a softer tone, to get some practice with that sound. I used a pick that has a lot of frequency information for so long that my voice may have copied it. This is with an acoustic guitar, I have no idea if an electric would respond to different picks in the same way an acoustic guitar does.