Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: US Marine Corps  (Read 3428 times)

Offline 4mula97

US Marine Corps
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2009, 12:16:54 PM »
gotta love the gunnys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TAGNCEHM6g

A Fly on the wall

US Marine Corps

Offline JSanta

US Marine Corps
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2009, 08:10:11 PM »
I'm currently in the Army (3 years and counting).  I enjoy what I do but I don't think I will ever make a good civilian again (not to say that I was prior).  I think the military has been a great thing for me, and I do enjoy serving.  With what I do, I've had the opportunity to meet many heads of state and work with the other services.  

/jim

Miss Wormwood:  What State do you live in?
Calvin: Denial.
Miss Wormwood: I don't suppose I can argue with that...

US Marine Corps

Offline mojotron

• http://www.mojotronics.com
US Marine Corps
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2009, 10:48:14 PM »
The military is made up of a lot of different kinds of people and no 2 experiences are really the same. During my time in the USN - durring the first gulf war, I did 2 long deployments to the gulf, I spent 12 hours/day working, 3-6 hours/day practicing with my band. We hung out listening to Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, Soundgarden and Perl Jam (who were 'new' at the time) a lot. We would pickup crazy kinds of coffee and tobacco from all of the strange places we stopped at - who needs the illicit stuff :) and I wrote about 20 songs with a bandmate and recorded 6 or 7 of those as demos on a Fostex cassette 4-track. Some of those are here (see tunes with 1991 in the title):

http://improvisingguitarists.ning.com/profile/MikeMcCardle

There were some great times in there with some really great friends.

I'm not sure if there was much of a difference between the military mind-set I know and that of a non-military person. We all loved our country very much, but not many of those that I served with tolerated authority well; you learn to shutup and do your job and the nonsense goes away. The nonsense was not really that often anyways, I think I shined my boots only a handful of times, and my hair was never really regulation short in my last 4 years - except that everyone shaved their heads when we got to the Persian gulf - it was simply too hot.

US Marine Corps

Offline Strandwolf

• http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577969013
US Marine Corps
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2009, 11:21:26 PM »
Holy moly Mike. I listened to the 1991 tunes in reverse order, bottom up. The first (last) one I thought was kind of standard fare smooth jazz, but When Will I See You and Monster...they could have held their own against anything on the radio during that era or now, IMO.

Kickass. Do you still play like that? I guess the Navy and the other military services have gotten more humane, more customercentric if you will. You were able to produce this onboard ship in the Gulf? Sign me up.[:p]
Parkers: Pick, cap, T-shirt, clock, and other assorted accouterments

US Marine Corps

Offline mojotron

US Marine Corps
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 01:29:32 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Strandwolf

Holy moly Mike. I listened to the 1991 tunes in reverse order, bottom up. The first (last) one I thought was kind of standard fare smooth jazz, but When Will I See You and Monster...they could have held their own against anything on the radio during that era or now, IMO.

Kickass. Do you still play like that?

Thanks!

I really got a lot out of recording those 2 tunes - the beginning and ending of Monster grew out of an early Jennifer Battan article in GP on diatonic harmonic progressions - the intro is in 4ths and the ending is in 5ths I believe - no harmonizers were used either! The middle is kind of a combo of ideas I had in my head from listening to Eric Johnson's "Desert Rose" toon and Hendrix's first album a lot at the time. "When Will I See You" started out as my bandmate's tune - he's the one that did the vocal on that - and I put a Randy Rhodes (kind-of) thing on the intro, slapped down some Dimeola-like guitar parts on the verse parts for backing, a Jack Bruce imitation for the bass part and rode the floyd all the way through the solo.

"Do you still play like that?" - Kind of, I think, I have not played with a band since 1993, but I have always practiced a lot over the years and I think my playing is a lot sharper than it was back then. The tunes I recorded in 2008 - that are on that page - are kind of first takes on all tracks - so they are pretty loose since I was really improvising all the way through those - thinking too much on those.

It's funny though, when I listen to stuff I record now it and compare it the stuff I recorded back in the 1980's/1990's there's a huge difference in the energy level. I play things that are more complicated and interesting these days - but not quite as creative as the stuff I did 20 years ago.

quote:
Originally posted by Strandwolf
I guess the Navy and the other military services have gotten more humane, more customercentric if you will. You were able to produce this onboard ship in the Gulf? Sign me up.[:p]

Yep - mostly recorded in the middle of one of Saddam Hussein's burning oil field smoke clouds in the middle of the gulf. You can hear the magnatron pulse from the radar I worked on in the background of everything.  

That was one of the funner times in my life. But, before ya sign-up - there is some fine print. There was nothing easy about doing all of this stuff - I had to sneak on board, then hide, all my gear - practice in places like missile launchers and empty storage tanks (people passed out because we ran out of oxygen at times) so even if they hear you no one can find you to shut you down... and then pull a lot of stings for opportunities to play on the mess-decks to a surly crowd of sailors that could have been from the country bar in the blues brothers movie. I think we actually played "Rawhide" a few times.

I'm not sure how we got away with all that stuff - I guess we were pretty sneaky - half of the fun was getting away with it. Not so these days - they've taken all the fun out of it by allowing people to bring stuff like guitars and amps with them on a ship. Kind of sad really - how can you have covert non-compliance when they're flexible and nice to you.

BTW - my son is in boot camp right now.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 01:36:49 AM by mojotron »

US Marine Corps

Offline 4mula97

US Marine Corps
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2009, 02:42:36 AM »
i remember doing things like that, "covertly stuff" you keep talking about.  it is easier now, however it is still interesting.  playing a musical instrument is contaigous.  in kandahar i ordered a esp x-tone semi hollow body, that i was anxious to get.  the next day i got an email saying that they could not ship it over seas because it would void the warranty.  well that bummed me out, so later that night i orderd a dean srasota 12 (trans red) semi hollow and that brightened my spirits.  and when i got it 12 weeks later i was instanly in love.  

where w were on the base was only about half a mile (or less) from bad guy territory.  it worked out that around 2130 every night you could hear the guy praying over the loud speaker to his town (which was accompanied by a rocket or three).

so with my type "A" personality, i climbed to the top of some gun coffins (where we made a little sun deck) and set up with my microcube and played our national anthem, over and over again.  occasionally i would play the Marine Corps Hymm (they also hated rock and heavy metal over there too ;), but that was their problem!).

you see there wasnt a lot of entertainment out there so we had to make our own.  

of course if anyone asks, i certanly did not try to personally persuade any other cultre to adopt a western ideology because that would be illegal.

but we all got a kick out of it.

A Fly on the wall

US Marine Corps

Offline BrainWorm

US Marine Corps
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2009, 03:37:35 AM »
"the rats"... real rats, in Vietnam.

"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."

US Marine Corps

Offline Strandwolf

• http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577969013
US Marine Corps
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2009, 08:57:07 AM »
Marion, this whole planet is some kind of zoo.

The big fish eat the little fish:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcrU_SazljY

Wasn't Jimi H in the Air Force for a while before he bailed? Something about a broken ankle but there was a rumor that he got a discharge through another excuse. He practiced guitar when he could while in the service, but I suppose that whenever he played The Star Spangled Banner he twanged one for his friends and hit a sour note for his "superiors" just for old times' sake.
Parkers: Pick, cap, T-shirt, clock, and other assorted accouterments

US Marine Corps

Offline mojotron

US Marine Corps
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2009, 09:24:43 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by BrainWorm

"the rats"... real rats, in Vietnam.

That would have drove me crazy! It's bad enough to have close contact with those who are trying to kill you - but you have the animal kingdom trying to eat you. Yikes!

Anyone ever get taken out by the rats?

I was too young to be directly affected by Vietnam, but I do remember growing up thinking that once I was 18 I would get drafted and my life - as I knew it - would be over. I'm not sure I could imagine the horror of getting caught up in the draft.

Imagine WW1 or WW2 - I think the military has come a long way to do better for it's members - which is a good thing. Though, I'm sure that it's still pretty tough for people on the ground.

I got into the USN just for that reason. There's all kinds of things that will kill you on a ship  - including stuff blowing up, gangs of predators (rapists, or guys that just wanted to beat people up), the crazy people, food and/or medical guys - but the risk seemed a lot more significant, real/present, for the services that were on the ground. I think I would have gone nuts if I had rats crawling on me nightly.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 09:28:34 AM by mojotron »

US Marine Corps

Offline BrainWorm

US Marine Corps
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2009, 01:51:00 AM »
The rats were not nightly, just in one place, but it's an experience to remember. Nothing like being on guard duty and wondering if it"s really a tiger you're looking at about twelve feet away or if it is your imagination. I still don't know. If you start shooting and there is nothing to show for it, you will have a lot of explaining to do.

US Marine Corps

Offline sfw

US Marine Corps
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2009, 09:07:43 AM »
I'm not sure if everyone remembers Dann Glenn who has been on and off the forum. He's not one to blow his own horn, but he wrote at great book on his time in Vietnam that is a GREAT! read. I highly recommend it. Incredibly insightful, meaningful and greatly funny.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/141344833X/qid=1108328241/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-0144109-5266507?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

My hat is off to anyone serving our country, thank you from a civie.
- Scott

PM10; Few Nitefly's; Franken-Fenders
Wiggles Murray, Barbie Electric w/matching mic, American Idol electric, Pink Hello Kitty