Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pat Metheny  (Read 2434 times)

Offline Toonman

• http://www.sergiomucino.com
Pat Metheny
« on: September 06, 2005, 07:12:11 PM »
My other super huge fusion hotshot. Along with Scott (Henderson), I consider him more an awesome musician than just a guitar player. Their composing skills are beyond human. I hear their music, and I can't believe the gamut of ideas exposed there.

I recently had the incredible pleasure of listening to Pat at the Montreal Jazz Festival (for free!!), and he sent me back weeping to the drawing board to re-evauluate everything I thought composing and arranging were... I'm thankful, because now I'm full of fresh ideas! [:)]

Pat Metheny

Offline loumt123

Pat Metheny
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 05:16:17 PM »
just a random post... We are doing "have you heard" by pat metheney in jazz band. I had the honor of sight reading his part. I love the song [:D]

Pat Metheny

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
Pat Metheny
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 06:39:45 PM »
Yeah, Scott is quite amazing. I love Pat, too. [8D]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com

Pat Metheny

Offline trap

Pat Metheny
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2005, 09:01:09 AM »
pat metheny is probably the best jazz guitarist on the planet,period.not only can he play the crap out of a standard but he also writes songs that become standards.scott henderson is great no doubt about it,but side by side playing a standard like ,all the things you are,,my money would be on pat to be light years ahead,idea wise,rhythmically,and chops.

Pat Metheny

Offline Paul Marossy

Pat Metheny
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2005, 04:04:49 PM »
quote:
but side by side playing a standard like ,all the things you are,,my money would be on pat to be light years ahead,idea wise,rhythmically,and chops.

I think I'd have to agree with that. OTOH, Scott has a kind of in your face quality that I like. They're both incredible guitarists ion their own way. [8D]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com

Pat Metheny

Offline trap

Pat Metheny
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2005, 07:55:00 AM »
any guy that can blow on giant steps has my respect,and they both can.

Pat Metheny

Offline Paul Marossy

Pat Metheny
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2005, 04:19:58 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by trap

any guy that can blow on giant steps has my respect,and they both can.

Yeah, Scott did that on the first VTT album, didn't he? I don't think there's anything that Pat can't play! *turning green w/ envy* [;)]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com

Pat Metheny

Offline tvadakia

• http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=425977
Pat Metheny
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2005, 06:24:02 AM »
From Imaginary Day to One Queit Night.  Just wow.  The instruments he's played, the techniques he's used (and still uses).  Just an amazing guy.  I really enjoyed his collaboration with John Zorn, it was off the wall!  It'd be fun to see what he'd do with singers such as Bobby McFarrin or even Mike Patton.  Or with composers such as Hanz Zimmer.

Yes, his music stands so well on its own, but whenever he gets with another musician/composer.... magic happens all over again.

Unique.
Unique.