Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: so, here goes... my own build  (Read 5372 times)

Offline 4mula97

so, here goes... my own build
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2009, 01:54:42 PM »
thanks, im pretty experienced with custom wood working, and already have most of the tools.  some of my favorite woods to use are oak cherry and walnut, but this is just an old piece of oak.

ask me to tell you about the advent calendar one of these days.

A Fly on the wall

sean_bornemann@yahoo.com

Offline Lwinn171

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2009, 12:57:43 AM »
Cool. If you're already a tool/wood junkie, there's no saving you. One never knows who they're talking to, and I hope I haven't offended. Best of luck and keep us posted.

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe
various amps, various toys

Offline 4mula97

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2009, 01:22:00 AM »
no offence taken, just making everyone here aware that i do (somewhat) know what i am doing.  but seriously, my dad gave me a hand saw when i was 8 and told me to get to work.  benn lovin it ever since.

unfortunatley since i move a lot (because of the military) i havent been able to buy some of the more permanent machines, joiners, planer, shaper tables, etc..  but i have enough hand tools to go "amish" style if need be.  for instance, i have started to chamber this body with a forstner bit and a chisel.  yeah it makes it alot harder to pull it off, but in the end it works.

and yeah your right, there is truly no saving people like us.

oh and based on what you said about the trapieze tail piece i am chambering as much as possible.  already the weight is down about a fourth  (that was a huge concern).

but let me set the record here.  yes i am aware that som sustain will be lost due to the body being made up of 2X2 pieces of oak, however, the neck and the tailpiece will be attached to the same piece, hopefully minimizing the amount of lost sustain.  if the logic holds that when vibrations travel througha porous material (wood) and meet a solid material (glue), and the majority of those vibrations travel from the nut to the tailpiece and bridge, then i am hoping it will be somewhat consistent with a three piece solid body.  but again, that remains to be seen.

A Fly on the wall

sean_bornemann@yahoo.com

Offline Strandwolf

• http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577969013
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2009, 02:09:05 AM »
I remember reading a long time ago some interview article about a custom furniture maker who used only hand tools--no power at all.

Someone said to him, "Gee, you would sure save a lot of time and effort by using an electric sander on some of these surfaces...the customer would never know."

Response: Yeah, but the wood would know....

Now there is a devoted artisan with a spiritual relationship to his medium.
Parkers: Pick, cap, T-shirt, clock, and other assorted accouterments

Offline 4mula97

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2009, 02:26:03 AM »
thats good, made me laugh.

when i was in afghanistan we had to build our own furniture for the shop.  nothing fancy, just 2X4's and plywood.  but we had a limited supply of nails, one circular saw, and one hammer.  for about 80 people.

a lot of engenuity went into the creation of these pieces, but for the guys who only used power tools, nothing looked like it would last a week.

but i built the stuff we needed for the harriers, and ther was alot of notching, chipping (and splitting) very little cutting and very few nails.  now get this, i built the stuff to handle verticle loads, like books, computers, whaterver.  a guy, who ill never forget, bet me a twenty that if he did a shoulder roll over the desk it would fall apart, he gave me twenty bucks.  and the major who was with us (he now flys the commandant of the marine corps around) told me i was insane, but none of the furniture even wobbled after we got it into the respective shops.

that little story says alot about the diferent ways things can be built with minimal suipplies, and it still be sturdy enough to endure seven months of severly dry heat (120F) and about 80 marines.

A Fly on the wall

sean_bornemann@yahoo.com
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 02:45:59 AM by 4mula97 »

Offline 4mula97

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2009, 07:22:39 PM »
ok in these pics you can see the chambered body with the top wood glued on, and the electronics in their rough positions.  next i need to attach the neck and set the scale for the bridge.  then i will worry about positioning the pups, and the final position of the tail piece (you might notice it isnt exactly straight yet, i will take care of that after the neck, bridge and scale is finalized).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sbornemann/

suggestions welcome, just dont ask me to use it for firewood ;)

A Fly on the wall

sean_bornemann@yahoo.com

Offline BrainWorm

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2009, 10:09:51 PM »
The guitar is starting to remind me of Bo Diddly, I might try a pink and lime green color scheme with some glitter thrown in somewhere. Pink body with lime green accents, colors blended from heavy to pastel fade. Not too much glitter, just a touch somewhere.

"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."

Offline 4mula97

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2009, 11:01:11 PM »
thanks, this guitar is based on the "billy bo" by gretsch.  it was infact originaly bo diddley's, but he then gave it to billy f gibbons, who refused to take such a nice guitar on tour with him, so he and bo and gretch sat down to design the "billy bo"

http://www.caseysprague.com/images/guitars/G6199-Billy-Bo-lg.jpg

as for the color, i was thinking some sort of metallic flake blue face with an all black back.  i was also considering putting in an "f" hole in the upper aft portion, but i havent fully decided yet.

pink and lime green do not suit my tastes, but if i had gold hardware i would look at a funky purple.

A Fly on the wall

sean_bornemann@yahoo.com

Offline Strandwolf

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2009, 11:15:26 PM »
Maybe with a burst or reverse burst sparkly blue and gloss black binding, you know, a 1/4 inch strip along the edge, either on top or side or both. Along the back of the body side, definitely, too.

The neck should be an ebony, with the Les Paul Custom rectangular mother of pearl or dazzling white inlays.

Next....

Offline 4mula97

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2009, 11:26:56 PM »
do you mean a solid sparkly blue body, with gloss black binding only on the fron and back edges?  that sounds kinda neat.

ah the neck, yes, well im looking into getting one of two new necks for this guitar (but i wont put any real money into it until i know it sounds decent)  both necks have the angled headstock, one is for a six string, the other is for a twelve (i love the sound of an electric twelve).  both have ebony fret boards.  

should this guitar sound decent enough to compare with other modest guitars, then i will put money into the finer things, powertron pups, stainless fretwire, sperzel tuners, and so on.  however that remains to be seen.

by the way, has anyone heard of a little box that you solder onto your tone pot in leu of a capacitor?  it is suposed to give you a "hint" of overdrive by controlling the knob?  kinda curious about that.  im sorry i dont remember what it is really called.

A Fly on the wall

sean_bornemann@yahoo.com

Offline 4mula97

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2009, 02:24:06 AM »
ok, so check this out.  i attached the neck and after a small adjustment to the tailpiece wood base, everything is as straight as i can get it.  however, the cheapo trapieze piece looks angled.  the angle looks like it is meant to be there to aid in the intonation, but it is visually distracting.  i am also going to check the measurments again, i may have the tailpiece mount off a little, which will be an easy adjustment.

any way, this guitar sounds very acoustic.  i mean if i put a sound hole in it i would be done.  so i am a bit worried about feedback.

i also need to file the bridge.  it is an old harmony bridge and has three separate grooves for each string, however they are too worn and the strings keep slipping into another groove.  kinda annoying.

A Fly on the wall

sean_bornemann@yahoo.com
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 01:28:14 AM by 4mula97 »

Offline 4mula97

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2009, 12:45:34 AM »
ok, i got the electronics put in their final places, the toggle switch is, of course, a three way "les paul" style switch, the pot farthest forward is the master volume, and the other three are in this order from front to back, master tone, neck volume, bridge volume.

i have some cleaning up to do on the back with my dremel to get ready for the cavity covers, then need to get it wired and decide on a paint scheme.

a few notes:  i left the neck pocket a little big to accomodate possibly a twelve string neck, i also put some shims in the neck to get a weird humming out of the high e string where it meets the bridge (it also allows the the pups to have more room to adjust).  im also not really happy with the strat input plate, but i really dont think it looks that bad, and im also thinking of putting an "f" hole on the top, back portion to break up the visual apperance.

again, comments welcome please and help with a color scheme.

A Fly on the wall

sean_bornemann@yahoo.com

Offline BrainWorm

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2009, 01:35:49 AM »
An "f" hole would add visual interest. Some acoustic tone without too much feedback would be nice also.

Offline Strandwolf

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2009, 04:41:11 PM »
Sean, here's some candy color information:

http://pc.dupont.com/HotHues/webengine/hothues/Controller

Offline Bill