Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: so, here goes... my own build  (Read 5145 times)

Offline 4mula97

so, here goes... my own build
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2009, 10:37:58 PM »
the more i look at this thing the more im reminded of a '57 chevy. and  when i look at it from end to end, it kinda looks like a eagle.  with the forward horn as a wing, and the headstock like a beak.

A Fly on the wall

sean_bornemann@yahoo.com

Offline Strandwolf

• http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577969013
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2009, 11:51:43 PM »
Well, you could try to get a butterfly wing design or some sort of eagle coloration motif happening.
Remember the Gibson American Map guitar?
I always wanted a machine gun guitar but I think they withdrew them from the market for being un-pc or something.

How about some pattern, like maybe a leaf thing or checkerboard. I kind of like Annette's swim suit. Golly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5vxF2NQSMQ
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 11:52:06 PM by Strandwolf »
Parkers: Pick, cap, T-shirt, clock, and other assorted accouterments

Offline 4mula97

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2009, 12:50:04 AM »
i was thinking about some sort of design like that, but i dont want to seem like i am trying to make a statement in some way, i was trying to choose a color combination that would provide an even compensation to the shape of the guitar.  so you dont look at it and say "it looks like a white eagle" or "the fins on that thing look like my 59 cadillac"  or something along those lines.  ed roman (im not a fan) has a black billy bo with tribal pinstripe.  i dont want to exactly copy the billy bo by shape and color, i like the shape, but still want to have my own taste put onto it.  

thats why i was thinking about an "f" hole with sharp angles in the upper back part, maybe accentuated with some contrasting pinstriping.

the wood grain isnt pretty enough for me to leave it exposed in maybe a tobacco burst color, or at least i dont think it is.

i still have time to worry about the finish, tonight after i get off work i will rough in the wiring for the electronics, then work on cleaning up the back cavities and making cavity covers.

i was thinking of getting photoshop and trying some different color combinations to see what i can come up with.

A Fly on the wall

sean_bornemann@yahoo.com

Offline 4mula97

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2009, 03:32:29 AM »
well it works. (give me a minute while i wipe the sweat from my brow)  i am quite pleased so far, however since i have been installing the neck, tuning, and removing the neck often in the past few days (i kept the same strings on it) the highe e came unbound ast the ball end, and it is my last one in the house.  tomorrow ill get a new set.

a few problems noticed:  
1- i think it is my "less than desireable soldering skills" because if i am not touching both the strings and a knob there is a very, very faint hum.  i only get it if i am adjusting something without touching the strings.  i think it is a ground loop i am creating in the guitar, however every thing is grounded. (keep in mind that i dont have the access panels installed yet).  any way that should go away when i get it wired the right way by a pro.

2- now i need a color.

i will get a sound clip up tomorrow (hopefully)  i cant do it now because i am the only one awake in the house and i want to keep it that way! (i work night shift at the squadron).

over all i am pleased (that it worked) int he experience.  it was easier than i thought, but i think my wood working experience has helped.  i also see no reason why i should scrap this one and build another.  i can still finish this project and be completly happy with it.

A Fly on the wall

sean_bornemann@yahoo.com

Offline 4mula97

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2009, 03:56:29 AM »
quote:

over all i am pleased (that it worked) int he experience.  it was easier than i thought,

let me word that another way...  

the basics of the design were easier than i thought.  however, i think that guitar building is one of those things that is easy to learn, and hard to master.

A Fly on the wall

sean_bornemann@yahoo.com

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2009, 08:02:31 AM »
I still say the shape reminds me of a shaply girl torso in a 60's bathing suite. If you wanted to have fun, you could go there.

OR the shape also lends to geometric abstacts and you could look at surf board graphics for inspiration too.

Anyway, that is really cool that you pursued this and very impressive that you finished it. And so fast! Thanks for showing your progress. You should be proud [^]

A few Flys in my soup
A few Flys in my soup

Offline 4mula97

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2009, 01:20:57 PM »
it does kinda look like a frilly skirt huh?.  

i was thinking about red and black burst pattern.  but i cant decide yet.  sooner or later ill find something or see something that will get my attention.

A Fly on the wall

sean_bornemann@yahoo.com

Offline 4mula97

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2009, 10:01:22 PM »
i think the finish is going to be a trans emerald green with black burst, and a black back and sides.

i think...

still thinking of tone hole, maybe two (for cosmetics).

A Fly on the wall

sean_bornemann@yahoo.com

Offline 4mula97

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2009, 08:49:55 PM »
so, i have tried to get a few sound clips up here, or rather on my flickr page, but the recording method i have (digital camera) stinks, so you couldnt tell if i was playing a 4000.00 dollar or a 40.00 dollar instrument.  so i wont waste your time.  but i am very pleased with the tone, resonance, and sustain.  i do have to be carefull, at higher volumes there is a small, but controllable, amount of feedback (that isnt really a bad thing).

any way, im working on finding the finishing supplies and have some questions about that nitrocellulose laquer.  i have never messed with it, but it seems to be used by the larger companys and more so by the smaller luthiers.

im also on the hunt for a neck, i was looking for a gibson or gretsch style angled neck with a ebony or rosewood finger board.  any one out there got one?  i would like to have the neck first so i can match the headstock and the body color.

A Fly on the wall

sean_bornemann@yahoo.com

Offline 4mula97

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2009, 01:27:09 PM »
ok, i have a 3+3 neck on oreder with a rose wood fret board and trap inlays.  also a set of sperzel's to boot.  i have the wiring done (i had to learn how to do all the soldering myself since all the local guys want between 50 and 60 dollars (i couldnt justify that with the small amount on money already invested).  

i am looking at a black face with tribal pintstripes, and a black back since i cannot find the right stain for the front and because the grain really isnt that pretty anyway.

now i have another question, in order to make this a quiet guitar, i messed with the ground wires and applied them in a few different ways to find the quietest.  now there is no hum at all (and believe me, my soldering job isnt that great), any way my new bridge, a tune-o-matic style with a rosewood base, doesnt have any provisions for grounding.  so can i take the bridge ground wire, and ground it through the tailpiece instead?

please help

A Fly (used to be) on the wall

sean_bornemann@yahoo.com

Offline 4mula97

« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2009, 12:17:49 PM »
check out the newest pics.  still a few details to work out, but this is pretty much it.  i dont think it looks bad for a first attempt without the proper tools.

any i need to work out the rose wood base on the bridge, im not sure if i like the color as compared to the body.  and there are a few frets buzzing on the treble strings in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd positions that should be worked out when i complete the set up, and the last thing i am waiting for is a set of sperzel tuners to replace the ones currently installed.

the next distant upgrade will be a lr braggs acoustic bridge and pre-amp with a stereo jack.  but that will be a while.

comments welcome.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sbornemann/

sean_bornemann@yahoo.com

Offline danjazzny

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2009, 01:11:37 PM »
Wow! That was quick. Sure you haven't done this before? Nice job Sean! [:D][8D]

'97 Alex Artist ; '99 Simonized Artist; '97 Custom Red Artist; '98 Custom Tobacco Artist (Hardtail); '96 Dayn Deluxe (Hardtail); Line6 Flextone 3 Amp; Line 6 Vetta II Amp
'99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '00 TransCherry Classic w/SD's 5lbs3oz; Line 6 Vetta II

Offline 4mula97

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2009, 01:42:41 PM »
thank you, no i have never done this before.  there are a lot of little things wrong with it that i will correct during the next build.

sean_bornemann@yahoo.com

Offline Strandwolf

• http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577969013
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2009, 02:12:54 PM »
I'll take ten of 'em, Sean--uh, I mean I'll give it a ten. Sure is long. Maybe ring some sustain, ay? What does she weigh?
Parkers: Pick, cap, T-shirt, clock, and other assorted accouterments

Offline 4mula97

« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2009, 02:49:12 PM »
she weighs about six pounds, and the body measures about 23 inches at the longest point.  i sacraficed some intonation by placing the bridge about half an inch farther away than it should be.  that allowed me to place the pups far enough apart to hear a huge difference in tone, the bridge is supper jangly, and the neck is nice and dark.  and the sustain lasts for miles.  it pretty much sounds the way i envisioned it, which is more than i expected comming from a cheap piece of oak and a laminated birch top.

total cost of the build is about 150.00 dollars, and about 40 hours of work.

sean_bornemann@yahoo.com