Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Derk Ushers Album on the P8En coming soon  (Read 810 times)

Offline Ocker

• http://www.shesayselectric.com
Derk Ushers Album on the P8En coming soon
« on: June 13, 2009, 10:59:43 AM »
Wow… it has been a long time since I gave you all an update. Well for many reasons I suppose but mostly cause there has not been a ton to say. The album has kind of been in a bit of a holding pattern for a bit over a year. But at long last NEWS WORTHY OF CELEBRATION!! Huzzah!

I just spent the evening in the Blue collar studios approving the final mixes before master. It has been such a long time coming and I want to tell you, it sounds like it should. Raw, natural, heartfelt and alive. Each song has its own life and tells the story that it was meant to tell. Mostly it is like listening to me play the songs for you in your own living room with the odd exception that needed to be more visual like Elijah’s cave, Golum’s dream and Baby Love in which my wife Corena plays a vital role in the telling of the story.
So the question you must be asking is… “what the heck took so long?” Well ok here goes the short version.  As soon as Dave and I finished recording we took into Blue Collar for mixing with my great friend Jon Tompke. Who  by the way is an amazing producer and engineer. Anyway we got to work mixing and all was going great. Within a about 6 sessions we had the album half done then out of the blue his vintage Soundcraft  mixing console goes on the fritz and we are stuck un able to move forward until it is repaird. Little did we know at the time there was no one in North America with the parts and ability to repair the board. He found a replacement parts board in San Francisco but it would have to be parted and shipped piece by piece and wow was it gunna cost him a mint. It took a few months but In the end he found a great deal on a analog Sony mixing console out of CBC studios here in Vancouver.

In the mean time, my band She Says Electric had begun pre production for “Worship Loud” and I decided to put my album on the proverbial back burner till we wrapped up production with SSE first. That took about a year which was 5 months longer than the project estimated time line but hey that’s the music biz for ya. Anyway once we got back to mixing “Naked” we realized we had to remix the whole thing or the tonal inconsistency would be… weird. So back to the mixing board we go.

The mixing process took quite a bit longer this time as Jon was just getting to know his new board and we were both quite busy with life the world and everything. Once we got to a few songs in, I decided to step back and just let Jon do his job and take his time and make the album sound right to him. I wanted Jon to mix the album so he loved it first, and he did.  

I am so pleased to tell you all that Naked is mixed and I am well pleased. It will still take some time before it is masterd, pressed and ready for purchase but we are closer now than ever. I am so excited and I will post some songs as soon as I can so stay tuned.

Derek Usher
Only through death may one truly live!
2006 P8En
2005 Mojo Flame BCH
2000 Fly Classic *hardtail*
2003 MWC handcrafted Dragonfly W GK internal
1988 Vantage Vp850 W GK2
A myriad of accoustics
VG*8ex
GR*30
Rawda industries custom pedal board
A plethora of effects
1974 VT Twin 60
1972 VT Phasor Twin

Offline simonlock

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 09:08:46 PM »
Hey that's fantastic news Derek, congratulations!

Simon
Vancouver,BC
A Whole Mess of Flys and I Love Them ALL!!!!!
http://www.myspace.com/428626749