Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Dragonfly Prototype Photos  (Read 20630 times)

Offline cy2989

• http://chrisyoungportraits.com
New Dragonfly Prototype Photos
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 06:20:26 AM »
I think the shape is elegant, however, I agree with what many have said about it being a step towards "me too" and away from "I'm different".

Oh and...DON'T PAINT THE NUT!

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 09:38:10 AM »
It's not too bad. But I like the classic sculpted Fly body better. It's more radical and unique.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams
http://improvisingguitarists.ning.com/profile/PaulMarossy

Offline daynwarren

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 10:00:46 AM »
Don't paint any Fly nuts.

Offline portnoy

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/Huntingdon-United-Kingdom/MusicStreetUK/193947947906?ref=ts
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 12:31:20 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by daynwarren

Don't paint any Fly nuts.

i think there should be a petition to stop it on here.

07' ice blue burst deluxe
05' Mojo flame black cherry burst w/bareknuckes
96' soldano SLO 100 silver croc
marshall 1960a
Roland VG-99

http://improvisingguitarists.ning.com/profile/Kavanprice

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ofE_YYQo-h8

Offline Marco76

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2009, 06:38:10 PM »
The establishment of a political force to be known as the Bare Nuts party? Ya know, people might get us confused with the Tea Bag tax protesters.

On the D'fly: its a nice enough design, however all but ALL of the outstanding design elements are carry-overs from the Fly. The entire project is, essentially, to de-exotify the Fly enough to pick up buyers who always thought the Fly looks weird (but had never been able to hold or play one) and to permit big stores to hang the darn things on their walls. Hardly reaching for the stars in a new model.

It's sort of like getting breast implants (or so I imagine): the people you will impress the most are the ones you will care about the least.

Brand prestige: 1 step backward
Brand significance as cutting edge: 2 steps backward
Financial boon to factory: 3 steps forward

D'fly:USM::Boxster:Porsche

(But the Boxster alone made the Carrera GT, GT-2, and Cayman possible, as opposed to Porsche's inevitable absorption by VW or bankruptcy if they did not turn around the sales figures from the early 90s.)

Not to be piling on, but I do not like the wider headstock, though I can see that it was, indeed, necessary if the hanging spur was to be added. Would have looked truly awkward otherwise.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 06:54:45 PM by Marco76 »
Marco

Offline BillyT

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2009, 05:10:50 PM »
Regarding pickup rings, we went with rings to allow people to change brand of/model of pickup at will. With the old mounting, this was impossible without major surgery to the pickup.
One cool thing that doesn't show on the photo is the way we routed the single coils. The route is tight around the bobbin on the face of the guitar, but undercuts the top so that single coil pickups with the old style tabs where the lead wires attach can be used without modification.
The price of this guitar will be the same as a Fly. It will come in the hot Parker colors if requested that way.
We have many more prototypes in the works. There is a swamp ash 2 fret HSS, a figured Walnut 24 fret HH, a figured walnut 22 fret HSS, a spruce 22 fret HSS a Mahogany 24 fret HH, all of the above with Parker trems. I will try to get photos of them in process posted if you want to see them.

Offline mountaindewaddict

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2009, 06:34:48 PM »
Terry, I don't know about the others, but I would LOVE to see the next batch of photos of the above mentioned guitars.  That sounds like some really cool stuff.  Also, thanks for clarifying what the price will be.

I just want to go on record here as saying that I really appreciate what you all are trying to do with the DragonFly.  I personally don't think it will devalue the Fly line at all (contra what some have said).  I would hope that many here would agree that whatever it takes to keep making Flys (the greatest guitars in the world) is worth it.  

To some extent, the more we can see of these, the better.  It also may help build some buzz on the net about it too.  Thanks for being part of this forum.  I really appreciate your presence here.

Casey

Gear:
Parker Fly Deluxe (in Ruby Red), Digitech GNX4, other stuff...
"Remember, if at first you don't succeed, you're doing it wrong."
God Bless!
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Offline Lwinn171

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2009, 09:45:06 PM »
Terry, I'm glad to hear that the price will be in line with the Fly models. There was a strange post that showed them as much higher, but I think we all took that as unconfirmed, although some speculation naturally occurred. Thanks for clearing that up, as pricing anything in the Parker line above the Fly would be sure to raise hackles. And to be fair, there's no reason for it to be priced lower (IMHO), because it retains all the Fly features more or less.

The undercut for the single coils is a pretty cool idea, and I'm glad you could manage it. Nice, slick looking routes for the singles. I don't mind the Pup ring, as it will allow variety for those who just must have their pups of choice. Seems like the most sensible way to get there from here.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 09:49:00 PM by Lwinn171 »

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe
various amps, various toys

Offline BrainWorm

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2009, 12:45:22 AM »
I like having a pickup ring so the height of the pickup can be adjusted easily.

"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."
"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."

Offline Strandwolf

• http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577969013
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2009, 01:39:39 AM »
Well I think there is some unmet demand for 'original' Fly models, such as the Stealth, the Jazz, Bronzes, Nylons, hardtail Standards, and whatnot.
Perhaps Parker ought to supply the rather obvious desire, as expressed in the forum, for such variations on the original before horsing around with Strat-lookin' stuff. How popular has the Single Cut turned out to be? I bought a new one myself, but that was just because I was jonesing for a Les Paul style guitar with Parker appurtenances such as stainless steel frets and carbon wrapped neck and lightness. I'd rather have a Deluxe, since I have the PM20 for that LP shape....

They are spending time and money on trying to successfully modify what is already darn good. I say just make more of what we want, and lower the price and paint them cool.
Look at the Ford Mustang: the new ones are pretty much like the first ones looks wise.
Well and Fender: the Strat and the Tele.
I would not put any money on this DragonFly. It might be a great guitar and fine looking in its own way, but call it a Washburn....[8]

Now I could change my mind about this but would have to play one in order to decide. Hey Billy: shipping address sent upon application!
Parkers: Pick, cap, T-shirt, clock, and other assorted accouterments

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2009, 09:09:45 AM »
I can't believe there are no plans for a S3 with DiMarzios terrific Area VV single coils. [V]

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline daynwarren

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2009, 09:58:27 AM »
I dig the multiple options that will be available. I would love to get an Ash or Walnut HSS 22 fret and then mod it with the single coil size Sustainiac pickup.

Offline jd84mc884qb

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2009, 10:29:02 AM »
Here's the pro shot.

Offline danjazzny

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2009, 12:08:20 PM »
Very nice shot! What weight range are we looking at for these new models? [8D]

'97 Alex Artist ; '99 Simonized Artist; '97 Custom Red Artist; '98 Custom Tobacco Artist (Hardtail); '96 Dayn Deluxe (Hardtail); Line6 Flextone 3 Amp; Line 6 Vetta II Amp
'99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '00 TransCherry Classic w/SD's 5lbs3oz; Line 6 Vetta II

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2009, 12:39:43 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by jd84mc884qb

Here's the pro shot.

I guess that's not too bad looking. It looks to me like it's a definite ploy to make it more appealing to the average joe guitar player. In terms of the looks, to me it's more like a Mustang instead of a Lamborghini now (average vs. high design).

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams
http://improvisingguitarists.ning.com/profile/PaulMarossy
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 12:41:10 PM by Paul Marossy »