Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: An Explanation of Forum Rules  (Read 13439 times)

Offline jd84mc884qb

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
An Explanation of Forum Rules
« on: June 22, 2009, 02:35:03 PM »
We are sorry if some forum members feel they've been censored. However, this is a private forum owned by a private company. The forum is provided as a service & privilege for fans of Parker guitars. If we feel posts have become inappropriate, we will remove them. When you joined the forum you agreed to these rules:

"We are authorized by you to remove or modify any data submitted by you to these forums for any reason we feel constitutes a violation of our policies, whether stated, implied or not."

All we ask is that you follow these rules and be polite & respectful of others and the company. Constructive criticism is encouraged as long as it doesn't degenerate into mean spiritedness.

As a side note, Marissa does work for us and has been made a moderator of several of the forums.

Offline cy2989

• http://chrisyoungportraits.com
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 07:14:20 PM »
It is well understood that the forum is funded, owned and operated by USM.  But the content that resides here is the culmination of the investment of many hours of participation by extremely knowledgeable people who share their experience, thoughts and ideas.  These are hours they could have spent elsewhere but chose to invest their time here, on your forum making it a Mecca for those searching for information about the FLY.  Without these people, without their contribution, without their ideas and opinions (whether one agrees with them or not) there would be no forum or at least not one of any value.  When you start removing the thoughts and feelings of long time members of this wonderful receptacle of information, not to mention loyal supporters of the Fly, you have doomed this forum to a state of hopeless mediocrity.  Be careful as you are alienating your most loyal supporters and patrons.

Respectfully,
Chris Young

Offline spider

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 10:48:23 PM »
+1 Chris! If you believe the positive feedback you have to believe the negative as well....
08 Parker Fly Deluxe in Galaxy Grey
And a bunch of other guitars that aren't getting played any more...

Offline mountaindewaddict

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 08:37:36 AM »
I agree with Chris.  Nuff said.

Casey

Gear:
Parker Fly Deluxe (in Ruby Red), Digitech GNX4, other stuff...
"Remember, if at first you don't succeed, you're doing it wrong."
God Bless!
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 08:44:48 AM »
Hear here. Chris could not have said it any better.

Bob

1997 Parker Fly Concert Burnt Butterscotch  -  1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod - 2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Offline danjazzny

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 08:52:16 AM »
Bravo Chris!

'97 Alex Artist ; '99 Simonized Artist; '97 Custom Red Artist; '98 Custom Tobacco Artist (Hardtail); '96 Dayn Deluxe (Hardtail); Line6 Flextone 3 Amp; Line 6 Vetta II Amp
'99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '00 TransCherry Classic w/SD's 5lbs3oz; Line 6 Vetta II

Offline Lwinn171

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 11:19:22 AM »
Kudos to Chris for saying it so eloquently.

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe
various amps, various toys

Offline cy2989

• http://chrisyoungportraits.com
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 03:25:14 PM »
I spoke with someone at Parker today about this thread and the whole censorship issue.  This is a person I know to be an upstanding guy and I trust him.  He asked me to talk a little about their position in all this and I will.

They feel that there has been sort of a mean-spirited atmosphere toward the company and certain individuals, who are working hard to produce this guitar, lately on the forum.  They don't want to delete threads and censor what people have to say but as this is a public place and people come here to gather information that would help them make a purchasing decision, there has to be a level of restraint and respect by everyone.  This is a part of USM's public face.  That isn't to say that people can't disagree or give opinions but apparently it has gone much farther than that.  They would ask for some understanding in what they are trying to accomplish and a little decorum from the forum members.  I think that is reasonable.

Now I would like to say something out of fairness and this comes from me, not USM or anyone else. Some have said that the Flys being made now don't compare to the ones that came out of Wilmington and everyone is entitled to his/her opinion.  I can tell you that I have owned three Flys.  A Tulipwood LE 1998, and a USM Bronze and now a USM Custom MIDI.  They are all fantastic guitars and I have to say that the workmanship of my two USM Flys is perfect.  The new guitar looks and sounds amazing.  I couldn't be happier.  From a quality perspective I would not hesitate to place another custom order and I believe these guitars can be made to a very high standard of workmanship.  That's my experience.

I am reminded of something my grandmother said to me frequently.  "You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar."  And perhaps we should rewrite that to say "Flys".

Offline danjazzny

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 04:00:34 PM »
Fair enough. [8D]

'97 Alex Artist ; '99 Simonized Artist; '97 Custom Red Artist; '98 Custom Tobacco Artist (Hardtail); '96 Dayn Deluxe (Hardtail); Line6 Flextone 3 Amp; Line 6 Vetta II Amp
'99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '00 TransCherry Classic w/SD's 5lbs3oz; Line 6 Vetta II

Offline Titus Pullo

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 05:24:50 PM »
Oh shoot! How many of my posts were S-canned?!?

--
"If you subscribe to the Stew-Mac style you have to have a template to blow your nose." - Ken Parker

--
"If you subscribe to the Stew-Mac style you have to have a template to blow your nose." - Ken Parker

Offline JSanta

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 07:45:38 PM »
Well said Chris.

/jim

Miss Wormwood:  What State do you live in?
Calvin: Denial.
Miss Wormwood: I don't suppose I can argue with that...

Offline spider

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 09:51:43 PM »
I'd like to say that I've been lurking here off and on for about 3 months and this forum helped push me over the edge when I was considering my recent purchase of a Fly Deluxe. I think anyone who frequents forums understands that one of the best things about them are the honest opinions of owners and fans. In fact I'm suspicious of a forum that is free of dissent and misunderstanding, anyone who belongs to other forums will agree that this one is already perhaps the most helpful,supportive forum out there! With the exception of maybe the Eden forum...Bass players are so nice!
  I think Parker players and future Parker players can be afforded the credit when it comes to reading this forum. If painted nut beefs and username squabbles turn you off a product you maybe aren't Parker material....
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 11:22:04 PM by spider »
08 Parker Fly Deluxe in Galaxy Grey
And a bunch of other guitars that aren't getting played any more...

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 10:11:42 PM »
Also well said Spider.

It is worth noting that along with our occasional but heartfelt complaints, most of us feel strongly that the Parker Fly is the best made production electric guitar the world has ever known. In fact the best electric guitar period.

Anyone with a brain hears that over again and has the faculties to take the other complaints in perspective without the need for censorship.

In fact the ones sometimes complaining are also often the ones who most ablely defend the Fly against those who dont know what they are talking about.

As usual, I missed the controversy here but I got the gist of it.

It boild down to whether posts were malignantly disrespectful, or just brutally honest in an unpleasant way.

I can see Parkers point as expressed above. I don't know if the deleted posts met that level to justify censorship.

Their call. They own the forum.

But I do think censorship in the absence of frank disrespect is dangerously counterproductive in the viability of any meaningful forum. As someone said, I do hope they tread causiously.

They certainly have not censored things frequently here at all. And I have seen a few things they threw out that really did need cencorship. But that has been incredably rare. this has been a great forum.

Lets keep it that way. [:)]

A few Flys in my soup
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 11:11:28 PM by Bill »
A few Flys in my soup

Offline simonlock

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 08:01:15 AM »
If a post of mine was deleted without my knowledge and they likely have been, I'd be offended a little. If it was replaced with a short explanation then I'd know it was taken off and could reword it. If someone has something to say and they get a bit emotional it can come out wrong. But they should have the opportunity to reword the statement to keep the flow going. There may have been something important within the verbal bashing of a post. If it's deleted then the only was to find out is by constantly keeping tabs of your thread discussions and this isn't always possible. Removing it without telling the posters is disrespectful.

I'd prefer a post or thread were deleted with an explanation like"post removed due to language" or "thread removed because of subject"

Simon
Vancouver,BC
A Whole Mess of Flys and I Love Them ALL!!!!!
http://www.myspace.com/428626749

Offline BillyT

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 01:54:35 PM »
I can say I have always read my posts twice, looking from the perspective of the reader, before I hit submit. I have always tried to accept criticism and take a lesson from the opinions other than my own. This is the basis of good relations.
I think we here at US music are showing the forum members respect. We consider you a valuable resource and are trying to involve you all in product development, production improvement suggestions etc.
I have to say I have been close to withdrawing myself the forum because I do take it hard when someone says what I do or say is BS or poorly concieved (All of which have happened more than once). The fact that we are participating means we care and are trying. If our participation merely provides a more focused target, we are causing more problems being here than not and should withdraw for the good of the company who employs us. I love the level of passion, insight and devotion found in this forum and want to continue to be a part of it. Please help us do so.
Please consider that there are differing opinions, and that is a basis for a forum. It is an open area to promote discussion. No matter how strongly one considers thier own opinion to be absolutely on the mark, there is a differing view that should be respected. A company like US music has the unenviable position of balancing these opinions to achieve the best result for the largest audience. This by nature satisfies no-one completely, but hopefully everyone a little bit. It seems to me that more often than should be the case, someone has gotten quite vitriolic about something. A disenting opinion can be stated fully and completely without the use of base language or beligerent phrasing. You are an intelligent group. If the language here rises to the level of the musicianship of its members, there will be no problems.

PS. I wish this forum had spell check!!!