Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Zulu guitar drop E hardware  (Read 6747 times)

Offline AndyI

• andyinnes.com
Zulu guitar drop E hardware
« on: July 01, 2009, 11:16:48 AM »
Hi all

I have another question for the knowledgable forumites.

I have ordered a bronze fly and originally was going to spec it with a sperzel D-thing, as one of the styles I play (Zulu maskandi) requires the high E tuned down to a D. I subsequently discovered that there is not enough travel on a D-thing to make make a full tone drop on a high-E string and that it only really works on the low E.

Do you guys know of anything else hardware-wise that might do the trick there (which parker could fit to the guitar in the shop when they build it)? The idea being that I can switch between zulu and standard tuning during a song without needing either a tuning break or a guitar change.

Thanks in advance

Andy

Fly Deluxe '96 | Fly Mojo '05 | custom '09 Artist on order | custom HSS Midi Fly on order | bronze fly on order | Mesa Boogie Roadster head + 2 x 12 / 4 x 12 | AER Compact 60 | TC Electronic G System | Lehle stereo switchers and P Split | Taylor 815ce | Taylor 410ce | Fender RR Strat | Axon AX50 | Gibson Chet Atkins SST | Takamine Nylon CP132SC |  Ovation mm68 mandolin
Solo album Anthems of a Stranger out at www.andyinnes.com or on iTunes

Offline Steel Pelican

• http://www.modernwhaling.com
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 02:18:20 PM »
I have absolutely no experience with this device, but it might get you what you need: http://www.spidercapo.com/ It would let you tune your entire guitar down to D, and then capo the second fret.  You could "un-capo" the high-e string at any point to achieve the "drop-e" effect.  

-Greg
-----------
'97 Classic Fly, Trans. Red
Mesa/Boogie DC-5
words: http://modernwhaling.com
music: http://www.pandasdestroy.com

Offline AndyI

• andyinnes.com
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 03:25:42 PM »
That looks like a possible solution, but may be a little cumbersome in practice. I'm just wondering about how accurately it gets in and out of tune, knowing capos in general, there is almost always a retune required when fitting them on the neck.

I'll get one and give it a try, although a hardware solution on the tuning heads or bridge would be first prize. Thanks v much for the pointer.

Andy

Fly Deluxe '96 | Fly Mojo '05 | custom '09 Artist on order | custom HSS Midi Fly on order | bronze fly on order | Mesa Boogie Roadster head + 2 x 12 / 4 x 12 | AER Compact 60 | TC Electronic G System | Lehle stereo switchers and P Split | Taylor 815ce | Taylor 410ce | Fender RR Strat | Axon AX50 | Gibson Chet Atkins SST | Takamine Nylon CP132SC |  Ovation mm68 mandolin

Offline daynwarren

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 05:34:39 PM »
Is it that hard to re-tune the high e string on a hardtail guitar manually? I think that would be more accurate (tuner or ear) than some device (if there even is one).

Offline AndyI

• andyinnes.com
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 06:22:31 AM »
It doesn't sound that cool retuning mid song. The attraction for me with the D-thing was that you have two preset tunings (E and D) for the string and with one flip of the switch you're perfectly in tune and can alternate between the two.

A prime example of where I need this is one song in our set called Your Time Will Come with Zulu trad. verses and a reggae comp in std. tuning for the choruses. Currently I use a guitar tuned to Zulu for that song and leave out the high E for the choruses which sounds OK-ish, but the bridging section out of the choruses into the verse sounds decidedly average without the E-string cut for the Bb(add9), A(sus4) and Am7 open chord voicings. The Zulu part would be impossible to play in western tuning.

A

« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 06:24:22 AM by AndyI »

Offline daynwarren

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 10:16:52 AM »
Makes sense, I didn't realize you needed it mid-song.

From your signature it sounds like you have a midi Fly on order and are open to using digital effects in front of your tube amps. I suggest a VG-99 and use the alternate tuning feature. You could also use the effects and other features then too.

Offline AndyI

• andyinnes.com
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 10:26:09 AM »
I thought about going VG99 regardless, but I doubt whether the "acoustic" sound on the VG, or any other modelling system, for that matter, would come close to the tone of the Parker Fishman piezos on the Bronze Fly through a big house system. Do you have experience with that? I'm keen to know how they match up when A/B'd against one another.

Andy

Offline AndyI

• andyinnes.com
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 07:04:49 PM »
OK - I've gone the VG-99 route. There's some other pretty cool stuff on the VG. None of the tones come close to the Parker mags and piezos, but there are some things that will be great in tandem with the fly. For the one section that I need the drop tuning, I'll just go to the VG approximation of the Acoustic thang and program a drop D on my high E.

Apart from that, I love some of the pads and synth-ey sounds they have there, and because it's COSM modelling as opposed to midi, there is no (read 0 - zero - nada) latency!

Thanks for the heads up there Dayn

Offline stevie axeman

• http://www.myspace.com/stevieaxeman
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 11:28:52 AM »
Hey Andy - I have an unrelated question for you  - I've tried the Lehle website and its not clear. Do your Lehle switchers allow you to take a stereo TRS 1/4 inch cable in from a Fly and split to dual mono ( i.e separate piezo and mag to your 2 amps) ?
I can't get decent stereo -y cables in the UK - and I'm looking to pick up a box to split instead
Thanks - Steve

Fly Mojo, Brian Moore i9.13 ,Godin ACS-SA
Bogner XTC Classic, Fender Blues DeVille, Fishman Performer amps
Roland GR33/Digitech GNX/Fishman Aura Blender, Sequis Motherload Elemental ( on order!)
Majik Blue 02 Fly Deluxe, Blue/green-burst 09 Fly Deluxe , Natural Mahogany 05 Fly Mojo, Vigier Shawn Lane, Caparison Horus,  Schecter C7 Hellraiser ,   Brian Moore i9.13 ,Godin ACS-SA
Bogner XTC Classic ,Fishman Performer amps
,Fishman Aura Blender,

Offline AndyI

• andyinnes.com
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 05:41:23 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by stevie axeman

Do your Lehle switchers allow you to take a stereo TRS 1/4 inch cable in from a Fly and split to dual mono ( i.e separate piezo and mag to your 2 amps) ?

Yes. The lehle switchers are stereo, whether you use the Little Lehle or the 3-at-1 SGOS, the connections are all stereo, so you use standard balanced J-J cabling (RTS - ring tip sleeve) between your fly and the box, then a short Y cable between the box and your FX or amp for mags and DI for the piezos.

You can switch up to 3 parkers like this (two on the little lehle) and use a compact stereo cable.

There is a stereo symbol for all the lehle switchers that do stereo (looks a bit like a sideways figure 8 or infinity symbol).

HTH

Andy

Offline AndyI

• andyinnes.com
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 05:43:57 AM »
And just as an aside - I only saw now that you're probably looking for two mono outs and 1 stereo in, try this one: Lehle Little Dual - http://www.lehle.com/frameset.php?country=us&lang=en&A_Link=products

See page 3 of this manual for the setup you require: http://www.lehle.com/products/LittleDual/Lehle_Little_Dual_Manual.php

« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 05:48:34 AM by AndyI »

Offline stevie axeman

• http://www.myspace.com/stevieaxeman
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 06:15:00 AM »
Thanks Andy - much appreciated
I see you are MD for Johnny Clegg. What an inspirational guy he is - a legend in his own lifetime must be a great gig !

Fly Mojo, Brian Moore i9.13 ,Godin ACS-SA
Bogner XTC Classic, Fender Blues DeVille, Fishman Performer amps
Roland GR33/Digitech GNX/Fishman Aura Blender, Sequis Motherload Elemental ( on order!)
Majik Blue 02 Fly Deluxe, Blue/green-burst 09 Fly Deluxe , Natural Mahogany 05 Fly Mojo, Vigier Shawn Lane, Caparison Horus,  Schecter C7 Hellraiser ,   Brian Moore i9.13 ,Godin ACS-SA
Bogner XTC Classic ,Fishman Performer amps
,Fishman Aura Blender,

Offline AndyI

• andyinnes.com
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 09:54:32 AM »
:) I landed with a good gig for my part of the world. I've been very fortunate. Great artist and great songs too.

Just another note, after looking at the manual, I suspect that the Lehle unit (Little Dual) may not do what you need. Before springing for it, just mail Burkhard at lehle, using the address on the site. If you ask him directly, he'll respond with an answer for you - I've found him to be really helpful in that way.

Offline Dreamsy

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 10:24:47 AM »
Have you thought of doing it yourself? I'll try to male one once my guitar arrives, it should not be too complicated (I hope), should be quite cheap, not the high end stuff from Lehle.

Custom Fly on order !!!
Fly Classic Custom

Offline Noodler

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2009, 12:29:12 PM »
Stevie - you should look into the Lehle Parallel L (or M) boxes.  They're definitely an expensive way to get the job done, but they would take a TRS feed from a Fly and allow you to split to dual mono (just need to have the output cables wired correctly on their plugs).  I was seriously considering going this route since I love the Lehle stuff (I have a 3@1, 1@3,Dual, and P-Split) and my Parker Fly has the mod for the mags to bypass the preamp.