Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: LIMITED EDITIONS GUIDE  (Read 23780 times)

Offline Marco76

LIMITED EDITIONS GUIDE
« on: July 09, 2009, 03:11:59 PM »

The Unofficial Guide to Limited Editions
Produced by Parker U.S.A.

The photographs below show specific instruments from various Limited Edition series that have been produced by Parker, especially those featuring figured or exotic woods. Note that the numerical order of manufacture serial numbers does not necessarily correspond to the order of the Series Numbers in numbered editions. These Series Numbers are handwritten on the headstock at the factory during production. Whenever possible, a Series Number (indicated by "#") has been included with the Guide photo's descriptive text only if the presence of such a handwritten number has been confirmed, usually by viewing a photograph of the headstock. When known, the manufacture serial number is given as well. Finally, a few one-of-a-kind instruments featuring figured or exotic woods have been included.

Table of Contents
Maple Quilt: Blue, Cognac, Honey Burst, Natural, Cognac Adrian Belew
Koa: Proto, 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9, 11, 14, 17, 25, PR
Summer/Bubinga: Proto, 3, 4, 7, 18, PR
Fall/Olive: 7, 10, 17, 24, catalog
Butternut: 10, 20, 57
Snake: 1, 5, 11, 26, 36, 40, 45, 50, catalog, 4 unknown
Norse: Odin, Thor, Loki

Solid Quilt Maple Flys

2008 Koa Fly Edition of 25

Other Koa Flys:

2008 Four Seasons "Summer" Edition of 25
Bubinga Veneer

Other Bubinga Veneer Flys:

2008 Four Seasons "Fall" Edition of 25
Olive Ash Burl Veneer

1998 Butternut Fly Special Edition

Other Private Reserve Editions and Unusual Woodgrain

2007 Snake Fly Edition of 50
Python Overlay

Other Snake Flys:

The "Norse" Flys

This Guide has been produced and is maintained by a team of uncompensated volunteer experts. Many of these men and women have devoted their working lives to the better appreciation of Parker Flys. Any donations will be much appreciated and will insure that these services remain available at the highest quality possible.  Just kidding: enjoy!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 09:02:08 AM by Marco76 »
Marco

LIMITED EDITIONS GUIDE

Offline Lwinn171

LIMITED EDITIONS GUIDE
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 12:42:14 AM »
Nice... I still think number 5 is the winner, so far... Can't wait to see what turns up! Thanks, Marco. Well done, as usual.

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe
various amps, various toys

LIMITED EDITIONS GUIDE

Offline Titus Pullo

LIMITED EDITIONS GUIDE
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 10:55:59 AM »
I'd like to see one with black HW for comparison.

EDIT: Just curious, what other limited editions have there been?

I know of the Butternut, Tulipwood, and Koa ... what are the other LE Parkers?

--
"If you subscribe to the Stew-Mac style you have to have a template to blow your nose." - Ken Parker

« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 10:57:57 AM by Titus Pullo »
--
"If you subscribe to the Stew-Mac style you have to have a template to blow your nose." - Ken Parker

LIMITED EDITIONS GUIDE

Offline BillyT

LIMITED EDITIONS GUIDE
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 11:19:57 AM »
We've done the Bubinga, Olive Ash, Pearl White with Gold hardware Springs,Quilt Maple Private reserves, Snakes etc.

LIMITED EDITIONS GUIDE

Offline Marco76

LIMITED EDITIONS GUIDE
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 12:09:56 PM »
I do want to add the Summers, Falls, and definitely the Quilt Maple PRs. I found a Cognac Quilt on eBay that is the same guitar photographed while under production at the factory. The eBay listing says that it is #1 of 25. Is that correct, or is it a one-off? (Both photos are in the Finishes Guide now, and I used the eBay shot to make a header for the Ltd Eds Guide.) I have a shot of a Blue Quilt from another eBay listing, and, of course, Parker website Four Seasons illustrations. Beyond those, there are very few photos of different Summers, Falls, and Quilts floating around the net. So, if anyone turns any up, please paste me a link.
Marco

LIMITED EDITIONS GUIDE

Offline Strandwolf

• http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577969013
LIMITED EDITIONS GUIDE
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 01:09:06 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Marco76

I do want to add the Summers, Falls, and definitely the Quilt Maple PRs.

Of course you do! You've made a very good start; it didn't take you long to attend to my dictates:

Strandwolf
   Posted - 05/08/2009 :  12:03:28 AM  
Marco and all:

How about "we" individually document the Koas, the Snakeskins, and the Summer and Fall Mojos, which are all limited and numbered--since each is at least somewhat distinctive?

If we had pics of, say, 10 koas lined up we could admire the different patterns and start squabbling over them. Same with the Summer and Fall Season Mojos. Yeah! Let's do it, right here! Or in a separate section of its very own! How cool!

Then as they came up for resale on eBay every once in awhile we could moan about shoulda coulda woulda on Autumn #5...but if #17 ever turns up again, the sky is the limit. Or maybe people ain't into it that much.

Go ahead, Marcos: do as I tell you. Hey, just funnin'

Hope I didn't just nominate myself. And if someone has already proposed this idea, I apologize for stealing your thunder.
Parkers: Pick, cap, T-shirt, clock, and other assorted accouterments

LIMITED EDITIONS GUIDE

Offline Titus Pullo

LIMITED EDITIONS GUIDE
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 02:24:00 PM »
(Opinion)

The gold draws the eye from the beauty of the wood. It's like intricate 16" (and larger) wheels on fine automobiles; your eyes are drawn to the wheels while the graceful metalwork is largely ignored --or comes second at best.

Black or wood, where applicable, would make a huge difference in perceived quality (again, opinion). All the gold looks like a rapper's bling with a neck.

EDIT: Forgot my main point (age ..) - Can't gold be an option? And at a bit less cost?
--

« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 02:25:43 PM by Titus Pullo »
--

LIMITED EDITIONS GUIDE

Offline danjazzny

LIMITED EDITIONS GUIDE
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 02:35:19 PM »
(Another Opinion)

I can live with the gold accents except for the bridge. That's a bit too much for me. [:)]

'97 Alex Artist ; '99 Simonized Artist; '97 Custom Red Artist; '98 Custom Tobacco Artist (Hardtail); '96 Dayn Deluxe (Hardtail); Line6 Flextone 3 Amp; Line 6 Vetta II Amp
'99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '00 TransCherry Classic w/SD's 5lbs3oz; Line 6 Vetta II

LIMITED EDITIONS GUIDE

Offline Titus Pullo

LIMITED EDITIONS GUIDE
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 03:30:39 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by danjazzny

(Another Opinion)

I can live with the gold accents except for the bridge. That's a bit too much for me. [:)]

You're thinking like me: standard bridge, swap the knobs out for wood knobs (or something else) and maybe the switches at some point (they'll likely need it).
The Sperzel knobs too [;)]

--

--

LIMITED EDITIONS GUIDE

Offline www_Ps_com

LIMITED EDITIONS GUIDE
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 03:51:51 PM »
What's meant by "private reserve"? Are these custom order one offs?

LIMITED EDITIONS GUIDE

Offline Titus Pullo

LIMITED EDITIONS GUIDE
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 04:03:38 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by www_Ps_com

What's meant by "private reserve"? Are these custom order one offs?

That's usually what it means, though "one-off" (hyphenated) is normal nomenclature for a product of this nature (only one made).

--

--

LIMITED EDITIONS GUIDE

Offline www_Ps_com

LIMITED EDITIONS GUIDE
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 04:34:01 PM »
Thanks for the clarification, Titus Pollo. I must admit they got me GASsing a bit. Anyone knows how much such a nice "Solid Quil Maple" Fly would set me back (approximately)?

LIMITED EDITIONS GUIDE

Offline Marco76

LIMITED EDITIONS GUIDE
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 05:20:27 PM »
quote:

Are these custom order one offs?

Not exactly a custom order. To get technical, they are done "on spec." A PR is done on the initiative of - and closely supervised by - one of the top dogs at Parker USA.
Marco

LIMITED EDITIONS GUIDE

Offline Marco76

LIMITED EDITIONS GUIDE
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 05:23:29 PM »
quote:

Anyone knows how much such a nice "Solid Quil Maple" Fly would set me back (approximately)?

The one on eBay (and the only Cognac one in existence that I know of) is listed at $7,999, but I feel certain that you could get that down to $7,899.
Marco

LIMITED EDITIONS GUIDE

Offline www_Ps_com

LIMITED EDITIONS GUIDE
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2009, 01:34:10 PM »
OK, GAS is gone... ;-)