Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vocals & Parker  (Read 2567 times)

Offline Nefarius

• The Nefarius Homepage
Vocals & Parker
« on: July 20, 2009, 11:01:33 AM »
After spending quite some time on this forum I'm kinda curious if there are more Parker players - like myself - who are considered or consider themselves more a vocalist than a guitar player.

Those of us who're in a strange way doomed to singing lead vocals and playing guitar. Those who would have a very hard time deciding what to quit and what to continue if they had to choose whether to keep on singing or to keep on playing guitar but ultimately would end up in favour of singing by whatever fraction of 50% of a quarter of half a neuron (or a close call like that towards playing guitar).

Maybe share some stories of how we ended up singing and playing? Maybe even some clips? I'd love to hear the voices behind the usernames that I've grown so familiar with over the last few months. Who knows, it may even result in some cross-oceanic recording collaboration of sorts. I'd find that pretty cool!

To start the stories (I'll keep it short, I promise)...

I got into music kinda late and started with playing guitar, all self taught of course. I knew I couldn't sing so I rarely did but started to sing along to whatever I was playing anyway.
Very soon I got hooked on Queen and Brian's guitar work. So I chose quite someone as my first guitar teacher and he's still my main influence. Singing along of course sounded terrible so I told and convinced myself that it had to get better because I just couldn't allow myself to keep on... polluting those songs I love with crappy vocals like that. So my choice of vocal coach was even more daring I guess (whew).
But it sort of worked and over time it got better and my music palette broadened as well and only years later I really started to understand how those two different approaches to making music - sometimes colliding, often intertwining - really helped me with both playing and singing.

Guess that's enough for starters, your turn!
I promise to post a Vocals & Parker clip soon.

Greetings...
Nef

Guitars: 2008 Parker Fly Deluxe (custom tangerine), still thrilled it's mine | 2008 Ovation 2078T Elite (black texture), acoustic/electric perfection | 2001 Yamaha Pacifica 821D (cherry red sunburst), best Yamaha electric guitar ever made
Bass: 199X Ibanez ATK300 (amber sunburst, pearloid pickguard), great bass from Japan

Amp: 2007 Genz Benz El Diablo 100 & G-Flex 4x12", versatility squared

Effects: 2007 Boss GT-8, probably more than I'll ever need
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 11:04:53 AM by Nefarius »

Vocals & Parker

Offline doombilly

• http://illicitizen.com
Vocals & Parker
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 08:16:04 PM »
I have trouble trying to play without singing. Or the other way.

http://illicitizen.com

Vocals & Parker

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Vocals & Parker
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 08:46:49 PM »
I don't know what I am or if I'm anything.

It has gotten hard to go a day without playing but I dont always sing. I have to be in the mood. Then again, I doubt I would keep playing if I couldn't sing. So who knows.

I do find it very hard to sing over beats that dont jive with my vocal beats. Playing the bass line when the melody is different or being required to do strumming out of sync to vocal is very hard for me. Complex rythyms give me trouble strumming anyway. Trying to get the words in at the right place sometimes takes me practice where others do it naturally.

Like Steve Martin trying to dance with his "family" in the opening scene of "The Jerk" [:I]

A few Flys in my soup
A few Flys in my soup

Vocals & Parker

Offline Yoyo

Vocals & Parker
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 06:50:33 AM »
My problem with singing started young. At eleven I sang well enough to get into the school choir and was able to sing the highest notes at the trial, but a year or so later my voice broke and plummeted down into the bass register. Basically I stopped singing then because I sounded nothing like my idols (Mccartney  etc). I'm currently trying to come to terms with and develop my voice. I've been avoiding my lower octave and straining near the top end, but I've got to accept what I've got and get on with it. I like writing songs and doing oddball covers so I'd like to feel less diffident about the whole thing. After all you don't necessarily need a great voice to put a song across. Mark Knopfler is a shining example. He can barely sing at all, but has come up with some incredibly moving stuff like the track Brothers In Arms.
The only thing that exists is this moment now.

Vocals & Parker

Offline guitarmanuk

Vocals & Parker
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 06:57:19 AM »
I would have to say I am a guitar player who sings.  I have a reasonable voice and can sing in tune but would say I am just a pub singer at best.  If I had to defer to one or the other, I would be a guitar player only.

www.dancineasy.co.uk - wedding/function band
www.saxandguitar.co.uk - sax and guitar duo
www.kimcypherband.co.uk - jazz/funk/blues/reggae band
David

1997 Parker Fly Classic transparent Teal Green
1997 Parker Fly Concert Butterscotch

Vocals & Parker

Offline sfw

Vocals & Parker
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 09:00:32 AM »
I would say I'm not any good at singing or playing guitar but do both. I started off singing in my first band in high school because no one else in the band would sing and they were all much better muscians than I was. If we wanted to have a band, someone had to do it. I'm a LEO so being in front of people never bothered me. I also just kept watching a bunch of live shows and learned something important about performing, carry a tune as best you can, but always make sure you are entertaining as the singer is often stuck as being the face of the band. I learned to play guitar very late in my life, only 4-5 years ago. I found yet again, everyone was better then me a playing. They all loved to play on lots of different songs and styles, but never wanted to sing, so I said I would do it. Once again, performing is VERY different than recording vocals, so why not have some fun. I have learned to play some while singing as I've gotten better at playing, but often find myself focusing too much on one or the other to do either very well. If I just let my brain go and just do both, it all works out pretty well, too much thinking is bad. Guess I'm going to have to learn to play bass now too. Seems to be difficult to find bass players and my wife would frown on having a gbu.
- Scott

PM10; Few Nitefly's; Franken-Fenders
Wiggles Murray, Barbie Electric w/matching mic, American Idol electric, Pink Hello Kitty

Vocals & Parker

Offline Nefarius

• The Nefarius Homepage
Vocals & Parker
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 10:19:10 AM »
Three reasons, one song.
This is the Vocals & Parker recording I promised in the initial post.

Reason #1 - this topic in general and Yoyo's reaction, especially using the bass register vocals
Reason #2 - the excerpt I used for my acoustic processing example (see http://forums.parkerguitars.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8895)
Reason #3 - I always wanted to record that song anyway...
(Reason #4 - celebrating post number 250 and almost as many days on this board *s*)

That plus my background in starting making music with Queen resulted in this afternoon's recording of "Is This The World We Created?"

Download and description in the Parker Sound Clips section
(or here http://forums.parkerguitars.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9804)

Greetings...
Nef
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 04:59:24 AM by Nefarius »

Vocals & Parker

Offline BrainWorm

Vocals & Parker
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 02:10:05 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKjAlICPF8M

Fred Neil sings low and he is one of my favorite singers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOVLOIysU1g&feature=related

I used to see him live in Coconut Grove in Florida.

"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."
"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."

Vocals & Parker

Offline bembamboo

Vocals & Parker
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 11:54:30 AM »
u gotta sing. if u don't, start.  otherwise u are just a guitarist. hendrix dealt with that.  songwriting helps too, but is not essential.

Vocals & Parker

Offline Mr. Wonderful

• http://www.myspace.com/justaddwaterduo
Vocals & Parker
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 08:39:11 PM »
okay, here's me, I'm a singer, who accompanies himself on guitar. however, I'm a more than competent bassist, who also sings.  there is nothing in the world like the sheer joy of opening up your mouth and letting the music just flow out of you (which is probably why I'm a better singer than guitarist)  I'm a unique example though, I spent so many years playing bass in bands, it's terribly easy to sit back and listen to what everybody's doing when you're playing bass.  a lot of guitarists NEVER listen to what the rest of the band is doing (not you guys, of course)

www.myspace.com/justaddwaterduo
 the , "weddings during wartime" and "baby baby" were both recorded with one of my pm 20's
p 38 black w/pearloid (named pearl), pm 20 in bubinga (3+3, named bubba), pm 20 tangerine (hockey stick, named crush)
www.myspace.com/justaddwaterduo
 the , "weddings during wartime" and "baby baby" were both recorded with one of my pm 20's
p 38 black w/pearloid (named pearl), pm 20 in bubinga (3+3, named bubba), pm 20 tangerine (hockey stick, named crush)