Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: top guitarist told me my guitar is bolagna  (Read 7925 times)

Offline Patrick

top guitarist told me my guitar is bolagna
« on: July 26, 2009, 04:39:56 PM »
I need morale support. I went for a guitar lesson last week, have been trying to find a decent guitar teacher for ages,tried a couple but I was better than them. Then I found someone who is a session guitarist and went to the Guitar Institute in LA etc phenominal player. So there I am in my lesson and he says I've got to change my attitude to the guitar and that I should buy a cheap beaten up squier tele and knock 7 bales of crap out of it! (he incidently did have such a guitar and it sounded fantastic) He said a guitar like mine was like buying a porshe and then not being able to sleep at night because you're worried someone will nick it. I've has my classic now for 8 years and there is only one mark on it. He said I bet you take it to gigs and protect it all the time etc. I can see where he's coming from but it has left a real question in my mind, do we surround ourselfs with high end gear etc when the reality should be about playing the instrument without worrying about whether it  gets a knock etc. I have since bid for a cheap tele squier for my next lesson as i don't want any more abuse (but do want the lesson!)

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 04:48:18 PM »
Everyone is entitled to his opinion, and that's his. He could say the same of everything in life and probably does. We call it having a chip on your shoulder. He just likes to share it.

Bob

1997 Parker Fly Concert Burnt Butterscotch  -  1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod - 2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 05:32:51 PM »
Actually I think he has a valid point. Its why I have several guitars including a PM 10 which is a great guitar for 300 bucks.

It also depends on what you are playing. If you are doing fingerstyle and folk songs, thats one thing. For head banging rock and roll, well you don't need an Artist to pogo with. That way when you strum the hell out of it playing power chords in I Want To Be Sedated , who cares.

Save the good stuff for quiet time and recording. I quit taking my Flys to practice. I take a beat up acoustic or the pm10. When it hits the mic stand or the 3rd grader in the next room knocks it over,I can smile and say in honesty,  I dont care.

Then when I get home and break out the Artist, man that is a special feeling.

[;)]

A few Flys in my soup
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 05:37:44 PM by Bill »
A few Flys in my soup

Offline bno

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 07:12:06 PM »
Nothing wrong with respecting your investment.  But, if the instrument is more important than the music, then maybe you need to reconsider you priorities.  He has a point.  I bought a couple Niteflys for this very reason.  And then I fell in love with the feel and playability of the Nitefly and now they're my principal instruments.  The beater Fly is an oxymoron but on the other hand is a bit of a Holy Grail.  There was a pukey lime green burst that just wasn't selling on the 'bay a couple weeks ago.  Anyway, I think it's worth it to have a beater for this very reason.
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

Offline cy2989

• http://chrisyoungportraits.com
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 07:25:41 PM »
Yes, taking care of your equipment is not obsessive and doesn't make you less of a musician.  He does have a chip on his shoulder.

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 07:35:19 PM »
I disagree with him.

But only you know if you're afraid to play your Fly because of marking it. I think  many guitar players confuse bashing their guitar with emotive playing. Not everyone needs to emulate SRV some of us are happy playing like McLaughlin. [Not that I am able] [;)]

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline Patrick

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 10:52:56 PM »
Cheers guys, I feel a lot easier and believe he does have a chip on his shoulder (perhaps somebody hit him with a guitar[:D]). I've never got paranoid about gigging with my classic but take all care and put it on a stand (most of the time). Some really good replies, I appreciate it, I might even tell him next time that I put his opinion out to question (may wait till I had all the lessons first[:D])
Patrick

Offline Lwinn171

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 10:53:22 PM »
I don't play a cheap guitar any differently that I do my Fly. Except that I play the Fly better. I don't disrespect any guitar I'm playing, but I also don't let my respect for it keep me from playing it just as I wish. I'm more concerned with music than resale value, because I've never bought a guitar with selling it in mind.

All musicians should play an instrument that they are comfortable with and like. If it's a Fly, cool. I love them too. If it's a Gibson, Fender, whatever... If it speaks to you, it should be your choice. One should never assume that their choices will work for everyone. That's an ego issue. Fly's are superb by my lights. His ideal may differ, as may yours. But anyone would have a serious argument on their hands if they tried to talk me out of playing a Fly. If he wanted to teach you anything, or just be a decent person, he'd encourage the side of you that bought a Fly. An outside of the box thinker shouldn't ever be squeezed back in. Music is an art. Artists should rebel against conformity. ARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

That's just the kind of thinking I would avoid in a teacher. Teaching music is about so much more than how well the guy can riff. He should be happy you have a guitar that intonates properly. He should appreciate that you made a fairly unique choice, and that that could speak volumes about who you are, and who you'd like to be as a guitarist. He could have used a polite discussion about your guitar as a launch pad into an in-depth discussion about what you want to achieve, and he squandered it.

Sorry, it's been a long day. You get my point. I just don't think I'd spend any time or money with a teacher who spoke to me that way. The noyve....
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 05:08:32 PM by Lwinn171 »

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe
various amps, various toys

Offline guitarmanuk

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 07:05:43 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick

Cheers guys, I feel a lot easier and believe he does have a chip on his shoulder (perhaps somebody hit him with a guitar[:D]). I've never got paranoid about gigging with my classic but take all care and put it on a stand (most of the time). Some really good replies, I appreciate it, I might even tell him next time that I put his opinion out to question (may wait till I had all the lessons first[:D])
Patrick

Patrick.  I applaud the fact that you take care of your Fly, I am sure we all do.  Mine gets gigged virtually every week and has a few little battle scars on it.  I look after it but I am not precious about it.  Don't change your guitar, change your teacher, he sounds a bit of a knob!!

www.dancineasy.co.uk - wedding/function band
www.saxandguitar.co.uk - sax and guitar duo
www.kimcypherband.co.uk - jazz/funk/blues/reggae band
David

1997 Parker Fly Classic transparent Teal Green
1997 Parker Fly Concert Butterscotch

Offline bno

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 09:41:14 AM »
Fuel to the flames.  I don't think the teach was so far off base.  And neither do you, otherwise you wouldn't be looking at getting a beater.  Other than this comment, how was the rest of the lesson?  Did this comment come at the beginning or end of the lesson?  Did he play your guitar?  Was there something about your body language that gave him the impression that your emotional investment in keeping your guitar minty mint was an obstacle?  Fly owners/players have significant investment - emotional and financial - in their Fly.  Lessons are not about the guitar, they're about the music.  

quote:
I can see where he's coming from but it has left a real question in my mind, do we surround ourselfs with high end gear etc when the reality should be about playing the instrument without worrying about whether it gets a knock etc.
Yes.  That being said, if you do worry about your guitar taking a knock or getting stolen (and I do), the advice to have a beater was not bad advice.  Nothing wrong with having a session/concert guitar and a separate bar guitar.  

I have a nice car (not a Porsche but a fairly nice car) and I have a '93 Sentra with over 100K.  I don't drive the nice car all the time - I keep it nice.  I don't park it all day at the train station (open jam session) and I don't go to the hardware/nursery and put dirty, scratchy, heavy stuff in it.  Likewise, I like my Flys and I like to keep them nice.  Nothing wrong with that.
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 10:23:16 AM »
quote:
Nothing wrong with respecting your investment. But, if the instrument is more important than the music, then maybe you need to reconsider you priorities. He has a point.

I agree with that.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams
http://improvisingguitarists.ning.com/profile/PaulMarossy

Offline Lwinn171

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 10:47:07 AM »
In addition to my thoughts above: I feel like the subtext of what he's saying (the teacher) is "you don't deserve a better guitar than I do". If so, that's his problem not yours. I almost got run off the road the other day by someone in a very nice BMW (who was busy with their phone). My initial reaction was "you don't deserve that car". After a moment I realized I was wrong. What they didn't deserve was a drivers license.

Would it be okay for a guitar teacher who had a very nice guitar to run down a student with a beat up Squire or Epiphone? Of course not. Why should the reverse then be true?

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe
various amps, various toys

Offline Titus Pullo

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 11:10:47 AM »
'Captain Subtext' aside (I'll bet no one has context for that (-TV show-)), more context IS required to know what the teacher meant by the remark.
If you continue with him, ask him to expand on it a bit. What compelled him to say it? If he's a teacher who attended MIT, then he's seen players of every level and played with players both below and above his ability with any number of guitars, so I don't think 'gear envy' has anything to do with it. I don't think any sort of envy has anything to do with it. My guess is he noticed something that led him to a conclusion (rightly or wrongly) that concern for the condition of your guitar was affecting your technique/mindset in a way he'd like to change. But that's a guess. Best to simply ask him to explain what he meant. You can always buy those transparent protector guards for pick marks and strum swirls if 'laying into it' was his concern. I don't play aggressively (I'm seated in classical position most of the time) so I don't have to worry about anything beyond dropping my Parkers. But I'll admit to a different attitude when I play my 'bench-press' Tele.  
Think about what he said and how, and if, it applies to you.

--
"If you subscribe to the Stew-Mac style you have to have a template to blow your nose." - Ken Parker

--
"If you subscribe to the Stew-Mac style you have to have a template to blow your nose." - Ken Parker

Offline mountaindewaddict

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 11:13:41 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Lwinn171
I'm more concerned with music than resale value, because I've never bought a guitar with selling it in mind.

Lawrence, I think this is the heart of the issue of whether or not to keep a guitar mint.  If you buy a guitar with every intent of selling it later (i.e., you like it well enough to play, but can already tell that you won't love the sound later), then keep it mint.  But if you buy a guitar that you will NEVER sell, you don't have to worry about the occasional nick or scratch.  

That doesn't mean, however, that you don't maintain it properly.  Just my 2 cents. [:)]

Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe (in Ruby Red), Digitech GNX4, other stuff...
God Bless!
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Offline wkcchampion

• http://pregnosplatter.altervista.org
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 11:22:22 AM »
I've been teaching to children in 2007 and 2008.
Tell that poor guy to go to hell! Flys are Flys. Crappy guitars are trash. Need to say more?

---------
Pregno Splatter
---------
Marco

My Fly bridge setup guide:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-bURNmuDq2-a0VPd3lPZldwVmc/view?usp=sharing

Pearl White 2008 Fly Mojo (Fralin PUs)
"Eldy" / Majik Blue 1995 Fly Deluxe (Gen1 PUs)
Various vintage and modern Marshall/Vox/Laney amps
Rockman + other rack stuff
Boss GT-100