Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: top guitarist told me my guitar is bolagna  (Read 7929 times)

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
top guitarist told me my guitar is bolagna
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2009, 11:37:49 AM »
quote:
Would it be okay for a guitar teacher who had a very nice guitar to run down a student with a beat up Squire or Epiphone? Of course not. Why should the reverse then be true?

Good point. Maybe he was jealous, and that was his way of trying to justify himself. Or he is very old school and just thinks the Fly is an overpriced wannabe guitar because it ain't a vintage Fender or Gibson.

Or... he is one of those cats that thinks a beat up guitar has more "mojo".

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams
http://improvisingguitarists.ning.com/profile/PaulMarossy
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 11:40:23 AM by Paul Marossy »

Offline Titus Pullo

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2009, 11:56:58 AM »
I think the conversation is veering off track. The OP provided this:

quote:

"So there I am in my lesson and he says I've got to change my attitude to the guitar and that I should buy a cheap beaten up squier tele and knock 7 bales of crap out of it!"

That's not running down the student, that's pointing out an approach the teacher would like the student to try. The comments re the Fly were perhaps only to back up what the teacher thought he observed -- Which may have been nothing more than a somewhat too-familiar,  ham-handed way of saying "I'd like you to try and play a bit more emotively and not like you're holding a baby." I don't know, none of us do; we weren't there. I sense a defensive anti-Fly, offensive anti-teacher thing here [:)]  I attended MIT (for drums) and the students there were all pretty level-headed by graduation time; they'd had "7 bales of crap" knocked out of them by that time from being humbled day in and day out.

Give the guy (teacher) a chance to explain his position first.

--
"If you subscribe to the Stew-Mac style you have to have a template to blow your nose." - Ken Parker

--
"If you subscribe to the Stew-Mac style you have to have a template to blow your nose." - Ken Parker

Offline Patrick

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2009, 12:42:46 PM »
I didn't go into the lesson nursing my guitar, I was there to listen and learn, he was very highly strung and launched into his spiel about my $2000 guitar and that that would effect my approach to playing, (incidently he told me he has a psychology degree, so I think there was an element of him sussing me out)  he did this all at the beginning of the lesson so i really hadn't had a chance to even play. With respect to his ability, he knew within 5 mins of me playing what I had to work on and I have to say that he was spot on and that its made a big difference to my playing. But I agree with you guys that are saying that he could have done it in a more positive way. I wont be selling my parker ever and will continue my lessons to gain what I can out of it. At the end of the day I think he is a bit odd but has been the first guitar teacher that I have met that is able to push me on.[:)]

Offline Patrick

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2009, 01:04:51 PM »
This is he on utube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnvOBeTsTdg
I have just found it hard to find a decent teacher in UK wish i was in LA!!!

Offline danjazzny

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2009, 01:14:19 PM »
If he's helping you to improve your playing, and you can overlook his "odd" personality, go for it! [;)][8D]

'97 Alex Artist ; '99 Simonized Artist; '97 Custom Red Artist; '98 Custom Tobacco Artist (Hardtail); '96 Dayn Deluxe (Hardtail); Line6 Flextone 3 Amp; Line 6 Vetta II Amp
'99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '00 TransCherry Classic w/SD's 5lbs3oz; Line 6 Vetta II

Offline Marco76

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2009, 01:14:59 PM »
He may be a great teacher; he certainly does have a personality on him, in' it. Could be the trade off is well worth it, if it doesn't mess with your head too much. There are other attitudes in teaching, though. Maybe someone who is not also the president of his fan club, ay?
Marco

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2009, 01:32:09 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/user/williamsonsmusic

This guy teaches guitar in England and plays a Fly.

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline Patrick

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2009, 02:08:46 PM »
Thanks Alex, will check this guy out as well, this has certainly raised some interesting points, and made me think seriously about a whole range of things. As it stands, I will continue my lessons (prepaid for 4) then re-evaluate. [8D]

Offline Titus Pullo

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2009, 03:03:36 PM »
What year(s) did he attend GIT?

I ask because when I was there (mid-late 80s) all the 'hip' guys played in that same Gambale/Henderson/Gilbert mold. I'll bet they still do.
It actually got quite boring listening to scads of players emulating that particular style. I preferred guys like Allen Hinds (in my class-year), but he'd already been to Berklee before MIT, so ...

Yeah, I'd give the guy a chance. Quirky comment about the Fly, but ... that's life.

--

--

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2009, 03:08:13 PM »
If it were me, I would definitely go with Alan Williamson. He's much more musical sounding than the other guy (I think he also needs some sort of medicine to mellow him out a little bit, too). [:o)]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 03:10:33 PM by Paul Marossy »

Offline Titus Pullo

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2009, 03:39:55 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Marossy

If it were me, I would definitely go with Alan Williamson. He's much more musical sounding than the other guy (I think he also needs some sort of medicine to mellow him out a little bit, too). [:o)]

He may already be on meds [8)]

I didn't check the other guy out; I will now ... Oh yeah, I'd give this guy a call; he seems very personable and musical, as Paul points out. Best of luck with the lessons!

--

--

Offline Patrick

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2009, 04:21:29 PM »
When I have my next lesson I will ask him when he attended GI then let you know cheers guys[:D]

Offline BrainWorm

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2009, 12:59:05 AM »
Lordy, lordy, lordy, sometimes you got to dig through the dirt to get to the diamonds.

"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."
"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2009, 08:58:42 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by BrainWorm

Lordy, lordy, lordy, sometimes you got to dig through the dirt to get to the diamonds.

Ain't that the truth?! [:D]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Offline Titus Pullo

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2009, 10:52:17 AM »
You lost me ... but that's probably not hard ~

--

--