Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
GENERAL DISCUSSION / Re: New Parker Owner
« Last post by axejock on June 15, 2018, 06:13:45 PM »
Well, I certainly didn't realize it at the time, but I guess I was incredibly lucky to find and buy my essentially brand-new 2011 DF 724 a couple of months ago, especially from a guy that I knew and that he had this guitar. When he first showed it to me and bragged it up, I just sort of shrugged it off as I had never heard of it and just wasn't interested. I don't know what changed my mind, but I did decide to buy it and have become incredibly amazed by it and have learned more about just how unique and capable it is. Both the guitar and case could not be called anything but in brand new condition. I polished it up when I got it and was amazed by the beauty of the thing. I guess that's why I am so surprised at the "demise" of these Parker guitars....I own a lot of "mainstream" guitars, and this Parker is certainly in, if not above, the desirability of any of them. I guess this has definitely become a long term keeper and one to be carefully handled and cared for.
« Last post by Mr303 on June 15, 2018, 04:04:08 PM »
Hold your friends close, hold your Parker closer.
« Last post by jester700 on June 15, 2018, 03:28:27 PM »
No. For a few years they said new stuff would be coming, but nothing showed. Now there's no US factory and all the parts inventory has been sold off. Someone COULD buy the brand and retool, but that's a huge startup cost, and with a brand that's lost any momentum. If they weren't successful then, I doubt anyone would risk it now.

Someone COULD buy the brand and make some guitars under contract to their specs, but it would likely use off-the-shelf parts. That could actually work, with a Gotoh or Wilkie trem or something. It could be equal to an import Parker or even a US bolt on, but it wouldn't be a high end thing.
I couldnt find the Classic on the Parker website.

If you want to know about the Classic (and a bunch of other Parker models) you have to dig into the catalogs.

Also, why does the Classic have less knobs?

There were two chronological generations of Flys. The generations have several differences including the number of knobs. An Artist, a Classic, and a Deluxe of the same generation will be the same in their controls and layouts except for the woods and the finishes.

Again, the story is in the catalogs, but an overview is here:

http://forums.parkerguitars.com/index.php/topic,7128.0.html
Welcome to the forum!

There have been many changes to Flys through the years (some minor some not-so-minor) so, if I can make a recommendation: I think you might find it helpful to read through the catalogs on the Parker website starting with the earliest year and then work your way up to the most recent. The biggest difference between Fly models is the wood combinations; Parker’s website also provides some narrative regarding how those different wood types translate tonally into the unique construction of a Fly.
Also, why does the Classic have less knobs?
« Last post by axejock on June 14, 2018, 08:55:36 PM »
Is there any plans to restart the Parker line or for another company to come in and manufacture a guitar like the original Parkers? It would seem that would be attractive to some "makers", even if they had to go to low cost labor cost areas. These guitars are still a technology and playability leader!!
I couldnt find the Classic on the Parker website.
TECH TALK / Re: With heart in mouth and file in hand...
« Last post by Big Swifty on June 14, 2018, 06:12:37 PM »
Thanks for the Highline Guitar lead, i did come across some of his stuff in my initial "research" but had forgotten about him.

Man....that's a lot of videos he's got there!

I went to 2000 grit, then used one of those foam fingernail emery polishing stick things, cheap and effective for a final buff and polish. Use one for a quick fret polish every other string change on all my guitars in fact, keeps the frets shiny and knocks off any teeny scratches etc. Don't go overboard with it, just a quick once over.

Might give crowning another go, i was being a extra cautious as the SS is hard and smooth and you gotta give the file a fair bit of pressure to get it to "bite", and i'm thinking these frets..there's no tang or actual mechanical attachment to the fretboard, they're just glued on...really don't want to push too hard... etc.

P.S. Do you think there comes a point in one's life when it's OK to, you know, not try harder?

Absolutely!

Phew, good to know!
TECH TALK / Re: With heart in mouth and file in hand...
« Last post by That_is_a_Knoife on June 14, 2018, 03:34:26 PM »
I'm preparing for some fretjobs on my other guitars and can't bring myself to just start, while I have lots of equipment. Thanks for sharing! It's not that easy to tell the smoothness of frets in pictures, but if you haven't gone all out with the fine grain sand paper, grab those micro mesh foam pads. From 1500 up to 12000. Like Bending on glass. My Piezo-Problem is still in the works, maybe It's done this weekend. I just need the right mindset to do it calmly.

Don't worry about the round fretends. If you still want to change it, there is a good video for it from Highline Guitars.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10