Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
ANNOUNCEMENTS AND NEWS / Re: Bad news for 2018?
« Last post by sybersitizen on October 02, 2018, 01:52:42 PM »
^ So ... old flex bad - new flex good?

I've had no trouble with mine, BTW. I'm just aware of the grief and annoyance expressed by others when they tear as a result of loose pots or cause issues during modifications.
Thanks, you two! Good ideas, I appreciate it!
Custom Parker Guitars / Re: Mojo surgery (what madness is this..?)
« Last post by billy on October 02, 2018, 12:51:55 PM »
quick update, it's clear coated and hope to buff it out and reassemble soon!
PARKER CLASSIFIEDS / Re: Looking for Nitefly next or neck repair
« Last post by billy on October 02, 2018, 12:48:46 PM »
Let me know if you still need this neck repaired.  We can't change the fretboard without glueing all the frets on by hand (won't do it right now), but there may be a way to get it back into service without pulling the fretboard off.
« Last post by billy on October 02, 2018, 12:21:58 PM »
While we're all fantasizing about a Parker relaunch, I'm curious: if Parker Guitars re-launched tomorrow what would people want/expect/be okay with?

I wonder who would support the further use of flex cables for the electronics. Maybe they were good for initial manufacturing (time/cost/space savings, presumably?) ... but didn't they disappear from every Parker after 'refining' occurred? Smart move or not?

They were extremely cutting edge at the time, and saved a rat's nest of complicated wiring.  Meaning huge savings in space and assembly times/efficiencies- the old pcb took up a lot more space than the newer ones.  It's genius, but they didn't know what they didn't know. 

E.g.:
In the early 90's I was working at a military radio assembly factory during my college summers.  Their brand new product at the time involved three pcbs joined by two flex cables, just like the ones in the fly.  These were like $1200 a set and no one wanted to work on them because they tore so easily and resulted in scrap.  So, they never told "the college kid" what they were worth until the end of the summer when they gave me a bunch of movie passes/dinner coupons as a reward for only trashing one set that summer, and dropping the assembly times to 30% of what they were before.  (Kind of cheap when you think about it but they also didn't have to do anything.)

Since that time, the industry has made many refinements to the design guidelines and materials for flex cables.  There is a much better industry standard of how to use flex effectively and today they could be made in a way that you would have to really try hard to tear them.  The old ones in the fly didn't have any type of strain relief, had tight radii, and weren't laid out quite right.

We could definitely do a complete reboot of the original cables. I personally think it's more appropriate to do something you could buy for say $15 and save your existing setup with wires only where you need/want them.  Maybe it makes it possible change up the wiring scheme too, without all the crazy connections to the pcb you'd have to do otherwise, but I don't know atm.  Either way, its a potential option, and you don't have to use one if you don't want one. ;)
GENERAL DISCUSSION / Re: How I Got More Sounds Out Of My Pre-Refined Fly (Wiring Mods)
« Last post by dspiffy on October 02, 2018, 12:17:17 PM »
If you mess up the ribbon cable by replacing the switch, either

1.  The ribbon cable is already fragile and will need to be replaced soon anyways
2.  You dont know how to desolder.
« Last post by vjmanzo on October 02, 2018, 11:15:47 AM »
I wonder who would support the further use of flex cables for the electronics.

I think that’s the “million-dollar idea”: reboot production of the flex cables and sell them to all of us forumites!!  :D
TECH TALK / Re: Parker Fly Classic 2001 & Boss WL-50?
« Last post by billy on October 02, 2018, 11:01:39 AM »
Keep us posted!

FWIW I think there is an IC on the pcb (that regulates power) which can induce a high pitched sound into certain signal paths if you get too close to it. 

A short "extension" cable might work great and also help to keep it out of the way.
« Last post by sybersitizen on October 02, 2018, 10:59:03 AM »
While we're all fantasizing about a Parker relaunch, I'm curious: if Parker Guitars re-launched tomorrow what would people want/expect/be okay with?

I wonder who would support the further use of flex cables for the electronics. Maybe they were good for initial manufacturing (time/cost/space savings, presumably?) ... but didn't they disappear from every Parker after 'refining' occurred? Smart move or not?
MAXXFLY (formerly DRAGONFLY) / Re: Question about DF 1024
« Last post by billy on October 02, 2018, 10:58:20 AM »
Oooh!
I want one of those! They made that one and the Koa one with a carbon fiber fretboard and cocobolo neck? I think that's right. I don't know how they handled the fretboard but it looks great. I'd love to be able to touch one, but we can all live vicariously through you.

wow, +1!

That guitar looks great, it almost looks unplayed.  Hard to see from the images but I don't notice any problems like a ragged fretboard edge or leaning/off center bridge posts. 
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]