Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Artist Fly's at work.  (Read 3925 times)

Offline shredward

• http:///edewright.com
Artist Fly's at work.
« on: May 31, 2010, 01:12:11 PM »
Greetings fellow Fly Heads, the burst guitar is an Artist spruce, the ruby red in an Artist cedar, both great guitars.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=12664&id=1133973169&l=50cf464dae

Artist Fly's at work.

Offline danjazzny

Artist Fly's at work.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 01:39:22 PM »
Very nice Ede!! Gotta say the Parker Artist is my favorite guitar. And Welcome to the Parker Forum! [:D][8D]

'97 Alex Artist 4lbs12oz; '99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 Custom TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '98 Custom 3-Tone Sunburst Artist (Hardtail)5lbs2oz; '96 Dayn Deluxe (Hardtail)5lbs; Line6 Flextone 3 Amp; Line 6 Vetta II Amp
'99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '00 TransCherry Classic w/SD's 5lbs3oz; Line 6 Vetta II

Artist Fly's at work.

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Artist Fly's at work.
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 05:14:28 PM »
NICE !

I have a burst Artist that looks similar to yours and I love it.

Any comments on the difference in tone of the Cedar from the spruce ?

I always wanted to try a Cedar too.

And Welcome !

A few Flys in my soup
A few Flys in my soup

Artist Fly's at work.

Offline BrainWorm

Artist Fly's at work.
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 12:08:31 AM »
I see a Port City cabinet also.

"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."

Artist Fly's at work.

Offline doombilly

• http://illicitizen.com
Artist Fly's at work.
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 08:36:37 AM »
Wow I just got back from Wilmington, home of the Port City Amps. I 'need' to go buy there next time. And by 'need' I mean 'don't need/can't afford.'
Nice Artists!

http://illicitizen.com

Artist Fly's at work.

Offline shredward

Artist Fly's at work.
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 02:07:19 PM »

quote:
Originally posted by Bill

NICE !

I have a burst Artist that looks similar to yours and I love it.

Any comments on the difference in tone of the Cedar from the spruce ?

I always wanted to try a Cedar too.

And Welcome !

A few Flys in my soup

Hi guys, and thanks for the welcome.

There is to me a distinct difference between the cedar and the spruce Artist.
The spruce has (to me) a very wide tonal spectrum, more so than any other wood combination on a Fly, and to me its the best all around fly. Its very big sounding and cuts well without being harsh but has substantial bottom end and beautiful midrange.

I've done extensive recording with the spruce Artist and Im constantly surprised at what it can do tonally and stylistically. Everything from modern jazz Kurt Rosenwinkel, Adam Rogers tones to Taylor Swift, Keith Urban style pop, I get great tones from the spruce.
It surprises lots of people when I tell them I used a Parker Fly on the tracks I did for them.
But I never tell them till they hear the tracks, lots of people hear with there eyes and the modern look of the fly may represent something they feel they don't want.
But if they listen first they always love it.  

The cedar is not as far reaching in the high end or bass but more focused in the mids and upper mids, for this reason I feel the cedar is better suited for clean to mid gain playing, especially jazz styles where your not looking for much in the way of upper end sparkle. Thats not to say its dull sounding, just not as broad as the spruce.

I love them both, just depends on what Im needing.

Artist Fly's at work.

Offline shredward

Artist Fly's at work.
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 02:25:15 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by BrainWorm

I see a Port City cabinet also.

Hi BrainWorm, I really love the Port City gear, in that show I was running an AxeFx into a Stewart World 600 amp to the PC 112 Wave cabs loaded with Jensen Tornado's.

My current rig of the God's is the Port City Pearl head and the 112 OS Wave cab and the AxeFx going into the front used just as a pedal board (no amp or cab sims).
Its incredible with the Fly, for some reason that amp/cab pairs so well with the Fly guitars.

Peace

Artist Fly's at work.

Offline BrainWorm

Artist Fly's at work.
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 11:31:00 PM »
I have a Port City 2-12" cabinet, it's on the Port City website, a blue sparkle body with red sparkle front, sitting on a bed. Two Weber Chicago speakers, one alnico and one ceramic speaker if I remember correctly. 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel for 8 ohm cabinet. Port City sent the wiring with the cabinet and I installed the speakers. Nice guy to do business with, his operation at the time was next to a plant frying pork rinds. Smelled them all day long.

Artist Fly's at work.

Offline Marco76

Artist Fly's at work.
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 09:08:43 AM »
Tell us about the tone from a cedar-bodied Bronze.
Marco

Artist Fly's at work.

Offline shredward

Artist Fly's at work.
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 03:35:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Marco76

Tell us about the tone from a cedar-bodied Bronze.

Ahh, the cedar bronze is a really fantastic piece.
I was lucky enough to get to work with a pair if MARCO76 Bronze Parkers (a spruce and cedar) for tone testing in the studio and they were both amazing but to me the cedar was superior in the bronze configuration.

As I said in another post, the cedar is a bit warmer without as much high end transients coming through and that coupled with the preamp on the Bronze fly's being voiced a bit brighter than on say a Mojo, Artist or any mag pickup Parker, makes the cedar a natural in this application.

The spruce was great also but its overall brighter tone means you may need to do a bit more eq'ing to get it to fit in a mix well without being too sharp.

I work quite a bit in the studio and the cedar bronze is my new favorite for acoustic tracking, paired with some patches I made with the Axe Fx, Im getting acoustic tracks that rival my 4K Bourgeois flat top.

Artist Fly's at work.

Offline Marco76

Artist Fly's at work.
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 05:07:07 PM »
I was very glad that it worked out for you to try them out. Thanks for sharing your impressions with us.
Marco