Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Nitefly Piezo Noise  (Read 914 times)

Offline GuitarTom

Nitefly Piezo Noise
« on: December 13, 2005, 01:12:52 PM »
OK, this topic is already discussed in a thread in the "tech"area, but since it seems to be a problem especially with the nitefly model, I post it here again!

The piezo pickup of my nitefly is producing an annoying high pitched ringing on the g, b and high e string. In the beginning I thought that the noise was produced by the springs in the back of the guitar, but after putting a lot of foam in there, ist was still there.

Searching the forum brought the solution (... thanks cigame3...): The ringing is produced by that little part of the string between the saddle and the hole where the string comes out. Damping there takes away the ringing ... although I havent found a durable and handy way to do that, yet... .

For those of you who haven't had that problem: I made a little recording.

You can find it here:

http://www.tomwerner.com/daten/piezo-noise.wav

The guitar went straight into the audio interface, so what you hear is just the guitar. First you hear the output of the magnetic pup: nearly no ringing.

Then I switch to the piezo pup: annoying RINGING!! (... I guess you need rather good monitors to hear it, it's very high pitched ... those little laptop-speakers probably won't do it...).

Then you hear the same part, played with the piezo and this professional damping device attached, that you can see in the picture: the ringing is nearly gone!

Here's the picture:

What do you think of that?? Anybody else with that problem??

JohnP, is that a known problem or is there a professional solution? It's really an annoying sound ... . Thanks for your help :-)

Tom
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 02:32:15 PM by GuitarTom »

Nitefly Piezo Noise

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
Nitefly Piezo Noise
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 02:23:28 AM »
on a slightly different theme, that looks like a really nice flame green nitelfy and you don't see many of those- any chance of a pic of the rest of the guitar?
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

Nitefly Piezo Noise

Offline GuitarTom

Nitefly Piezo Noise
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 03:38:02 AM »
Hi David,

in the "Trans Green Nitefly Mojo"-thread in the nitefly section I already posted some pics ... .    :-)

It's really a great guitar - perfect, once I get rid of the ringing!!  ;-)

Tom
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 04:03:20 AM by GuitarTom »

Nitefly Piezo Noise

Offline 908ssp

Nitefly Piezo Noise
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 09:40:05 AM »
Get a piece of 3mm neoprene rubber sheet. It is used for heavy gaskets. Cut it the length of the cavity and wide enough to just cover the string holes in the bridge. You might be able to get the rubber in there and stand it on edge between the bridge frame and the saddles by pushing the tremolo bar all the way down. Urethane foam comes in black and might be easier to use. But either of these will push the string off the saddle sooner when using the trem.

I don't know if any of this will work as I don't have the problem.

Alex
1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
2005 Emerald Acoustic X10
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
2004 Marshall 4x12 Scumbag
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG