Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Parker P-36 with custom carved leather pickguatd  (Read 2238 times)

Offline Cryo

Parker P-36 with custom carved leather pickguatd
« on: February 09, 2014, 05:57:27 PM »
I love my Parkers.  This P-36 I bought used, cleaned it up and put in a custom pickguard.  The pickguard is carved leather.

http://www.reverbnation.com/musician/69752
http://www.reverbnation.com/musician/69752

Re: Parker P-36 with custom carved leather pickguatd

Offline ParkerBrown

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 01:18:39 AM »
Cryo,
Did you do the actual tooling? That is superb, both from an artistic standpoint as well as the craftsmanship involved. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a semi-transparent screen that was on top of much of both images to disappear, but they were  still clear enough to appreciate the quality. Is there some kind of protective coating that will prevent any damage to the leather from playing the guitar? Way too nice to have little chunks of leather getting hacked out by a pick or fingernails. Anyway, a cool idea very well done.

Ken

Offline Obsidian

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 02:01:46 AM »
Awesome.

I just have to ask:
Do you match your boots to your guitar when you go out and play? ;)

Offline Cryo

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 12:27:10 AM »
Cryo,
Did you do the actual tooling? That is superb, both from an artistic standpoint as well as the craftsmanship involved. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a semi-transparent screen that was on top of much of both images to disappear, but they were  still clear enough to appreciate the quality. Is there some kind of protective coating that will prevent any damage to the leather from playing the guitar? Way too nice to have little chunks of leather getting hacked out by a pick or fingernails. Anyway, a cool idea very well done.

Ken

While I have done tooling of leather pickguards before, I did not do this one.  Instead, This one is a collaborative effort with an artist in Dallas.  I chose the design and gave direction, such as the tail down the bottom of the pickguard.  I think I may have posted a full picture elsewhere when I first put this together on a Telecaster forum.  If I find it, I will link to this thread.  There is a clear acrylic coating that protects the artwork that is commonly used by leather toolers. 

Offline Cryo

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 12:28:31 AM »
Awesome.

I just have to ask:
Do you match your boots to your guitar when you go out and play? ;)

I do wear leather boots for some gigs, but no, they do not match.

Offline Cryo

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 12:39:11 AM »
http://www.etsy.com/listing/151665379/desert-skullz-leather-pickguard?ref=listing-shop-header-3

MK Halloway was the artist.  Here is his website on Etsy.

He may still have the guides that he used for my project.