Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My Parker Mojo Dud  (Read 3166 times)

Offline spatzi

My Parker Mojo Dud
« on: January 11, 2006, 07:23:40 PM »
I hate to say it, but I think I got a dud. I've had my Parker mojo for a couple months, and recently gave it to a friend who repairs guitars and has had experience with Parker models. He tells me there is way too much buzzing, and it shouldn't be there. He thinks at least one fret is too high (the 9th) and this is what is causing it. He used an ohm meter to find out where the string was making contact and that was the spot. I do get a lot of buzz on the low E from fret 5 up to 10. I noticed this buzz when I bought it, but I just raised the action. Now I'm told the action is too high for this guitar, (if you look at the bridge from behind, you can see the left side is raised much higher than the right) so I put it back down and the buzz has come back with a vengeance, and on more than just one string. I took it back to the store where I bought it and they think it only needs a truss rod adjustment. My repair guy disagrees and says there was nothing wrong with the neck. I did try a Parker supreme in the store and it had the same action, with absolutely no buzz anywhere. If it's not the truss rod adjustment, I fear the worst, and it's going to have to be sent back to Parker for a complete fret overhaul, and who knows how long that's going to take. Meanwhile, I've got gigs coming up, no guitar, and I'm out $3000. This model took 6 months to get in the store, so it's not like they can just give me another one. It'll be six months before they even get the mojo in again. Anyone else had this problem with excessive buzzing on the mojo? I mean, it's loud enough to hear it through the amp when I'm playing clean. I'm using 10 gauge, and the 10 spring, with trem in drop mode only.

My Parker Mojo Dud

Offline rpurdue

My Parker Mojo Dud
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 12:44:24 AM »
I had a similar experience with a mojo fly that i bought.  It had a terrible buzz (even amplified) with the action above the manuals settings.  I had it set up by 2 techs and the end result was the same....... BUZZ, BUZZ, BUZZ.  I ended up just exchanging it for a custom shop Classic with duncans.  This guitars  action is lower than the suggested and has no buzzing through the amp.  Get the guitar set up and see what happens.  I think that the mojo i had was surely a dud.

My Parker Mojo Dud

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
My Parker Mojo Dud
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 02:04:59 AM »
not that this solves any problems, but the bridge always loooks wonky due to the curve of the body - the top of the guitar is not flat, so you can't compare bridge post heights by seeing ow far out of the body they sit.
sorry to hear about the problems, hope they can be sorted.
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

My Parker Mojo Dud

Offline spatzi

My Parker Mojo Dud
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 09:58:58 AM »
At first, I was hoping the buzz problem might be solved in store. No deal. They won't touch it. I had my tech look the guitar over one more time last night, and he still says there is no truss adjustment needed, and that in fact, the action is still too high, and even higher than most of the (much cheaper with no buzz) guitars he owns, including some acoustics!!

Then, I thought, okay, as long as they offer me a temp replacement while the guitar is shippeed back to Parker for repair, then it might be okay. But now, I get the feeling that there is no cure for this buzz, and the last thing I want is for me to be out the money and the guitar for two months, only to get it back, or be told, that the guitar has buzz, I have to live with it and there is nothing that can be done. I'm not accepting this on a $3000 guitar. I'm going to have to ask for my money back today and continue the search for another Parker. This really pisses me off. I really like this guitar as far as playability and tone goes, and I don't even know what is going to come close to it, especially as far as the slim neck. They had a supreme in the store but that was $4000, and I didn't like the yellow color. And no one else in Vancouver even carries Parker, so this means I may have to go to Seattle to find one. Anyone have a Parker mojo with low action and no buzz? I'd be interested to know the ratio of buyers with no buzz/buzz. Seems from what I've read on here, the mojo is the worst model for buzz.

My Parker Mojo Dud

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
My Parker Mojo Dud
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 10:38:43 AM »
no buzz with mine (2005 model)
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

My Parker Mojo Dud

Offline supersecretjim

My Parker Mojo Dud
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 11:41:18 AM »
If youre gonna do the drive to Seattle, go right past that about 2 hours or so to oregon if theres any dealers there. No sales tax!

James W

New sheriff in small town...

Parker Trans red burst fly mojo single cut flame top, Nitefly-M, Trans green Nitefly mojo flame top, Kramer Proaxe & Nightswan, Shadow guitars x3, Peavey XXX Combo, Mesa Roadking Head, Crate acoustic 112 combo & Powerblock, GK 250 ml stereo combo, Genz Benz cabs, Pod XT Live, more stuff...
James W

Custom Wayne Charvel Villian, Carvin CT-6M flametop, Kramer Proaxe & Nightswan, Shadow S-140 guitars x3, 05 Parker Trans red burst Fly Mojo Single cut flame top, 10th Anniversary Fly Limited edition, Nitefly-M, Fractal Audio Axe-Fx Ultra (Is there really anything else?)

My Parker Mojo Dud

Offline trap

My Parker Mojo Dud
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 12:51:47 PM »
if i remember correctly,i believe that  even stainless steel frets can be filed down and leveled.i would check with parker to see if they could do that for you.i don't think your guitar is a lost cause.call them!

My Parker Mojo Dud

Offline 908ssp

My Parker Mojo Dud
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 02:05:30 PM »
This is just too weird.[:0]

Have you contacted Parker? They aren't going to ignore the problem if it is there. Send the guitar back if it can't be repaired it will probably be replaced. Give Parker a chance to make it right. [^]

Alex
2005 Parker Mojo
1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
2003 Fly Bass
2005 Emerald Acoustic X10
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
2004 Marshall 4x12 Scumbag
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

My Parker Mojo Dud

Offline JPage

• http://www.parkerguitars.com
My Parker Mojo Dud
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 08:34:53 AM »
It is highly recommended that you contact Parker's Customer Service at 1-800-877-6863 or cservice@usmusiccorp.com.

My Parker Mojo Dud

Offline Nator

My Parker Mojo Dud
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2006, 08:04:13 PM »
You are not alone.

I have 2 duds sitting in my house right now. A Parker Fly Mojo and Nitefly Mojo. Both made in June 2005.

I bought the Nitefly first from an online store. It arrived factory sealed. The nut was obviously not cut correctly. The low E slot was cut too low which causes buzz on that string only. Also, any use of the trem puts it out of tune since the strings are getting caught in the nut.

There are actully plastic shavings still hanging from the slots from which they were cut, very messy looking.

I was about to send it back to the factory to have them recut the nut, but I decided that I would try the Fly Mojo and send the Nitefly back. I like the idea of 24 frets and easier access to the higher frets.

So I get the Fly yesterday and I couldn't believe it! It is in much worse shape than the Nitefly! The nut looks horrible! The G string slot is cut on a 10 degree angle and the E and A slots do not line up to the machine heads as the should. There are glue runs all around the nut. There are these weird orange-peel-like blemishes all over the front and back of the guitar.  The factory setup (yes, this one was also factory sealed) was the worst that I have ever seen on any guitar. The neck had major forward bow (about .030" at 8th fret), the action was set at 1/8" on the low E side and .050" at the high E side, and the trem was not anywhere near flush to the strings. The positioning of the trem is where it would be if one was pulling slightly back on the bar a step or so. So I figured that the spring tension just needed to be adjusted so the the trem will be pulled to the stop so it sits at home. Well guess what? It was already up against the stop! So the that means that the step-stop is in the wrong position. And to top it all off the intonation of several of the strings need to go forward (they are flat), however, they are already set as far forward as they can go. So the intonation cannot be set with the trem in the home position. Isn't that where the intonationis supposed to be set? Anyway, this one won't stay in tune even without trem use. And it is $1000 more than the Nitefly!!! Oh, one other small thing, the guitar arrived with a broken high E string.

So here I am with two Parker Mojos that are both going back. Well at least the Fly is for sure. I might keep the Nitefly since the problem only lies with the nut. Also, I think the Nitefly sounds and feels better. I have to find someone that I can trust to do the nut work. I would consider sending it to the factory to get fixed but I am honestly afraid that it might come back in worse shape than it is in now.

So, did we really end up with duds? Or is this just the current par for the course and the real dud is when you get a good one? I hate the fact that I am even writing this, but I feel I must. It is the truth. For the money they ask for these guitars, this should not be happening. I might just send them both back and try to find an older Parker Fly. I am afraid that the Parker glory days might be over. Perhaps they are joining the realms of Fender and Gibson. I truly hope I am wrong, but the quality that I have been seeing lately is only proving that I am not. These Parkers sitting in my house had the potential to be the best guitars I ever owned. There are so many other things about them that I love.

Very, very sad.

My Parker Mojo Dud

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
My Parker Mojo Dud
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2006, 11:04:36 PM »
Disturbing indeed.

Fly Deluxe 2000;Gibson es 137;       AlverezYari '75; SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker
A few Flys in my soup

My Parker Mojo Dud

Offline cgarlie

My Parker Mojo Dud
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2006, 12:44:15 PM »
I had a high fifth fret on a Mojo. Contacted Parker and they told me to send them the guitar (still under warranty). They are going to replace the guitar. Definitely contact Customer Support.

Got Mojo?
PRS SC245 Twentieth Anniversary 
Gibson '83 Lucille
Gibson Digital Les Paul (HD-6X)
SRV Custom Strat
"Claptonized" 60th Anniversary Strat
PRS SAS
(Original) Dan Armstrong "See-through"
Variax II

My Parker Mojo Dud

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
My Parker Mojo Dud
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2006, 02:13:27 AM »
the fact it was shipped with a broken string is indicative of the fact that it hadn't been checked/set-up (unless it was shpped with little protesction/casiing).  don't lose confidence in Flys - this sounds like human error, not Parker Fly Design error.

My Parker Mojo Dud

Offline dan.green

• http://www.americaworking.org
My Parker Mojo Dud
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2006, 07:12:36 PM »
I just recieved my Mojo in the mail and am really dissappointed by the unnacceptable ammount of buzzing happening on the low E and A strings. I had my tech check it out and it's pretty clear I've got a high fret.

So I have to make a decision. Do I send the guitar in for warranty service, or do I say goodbye to Parker and return the guitar. If anyone out there has had a positive experience with Parker service, I'd love to hear it.

I've been through this twice with PRS and its why I sold them both and will never do business with them again. PRS likes to take your guitar into warranty, and then just send you back your guitar without doing any work on it. I love the sound of this Mojo. I want to love this guitar. Is it worth sticking with Parker? Do they stick by their product? Do they take care of their customers?

My Parker Mojo Dud

Offline loumt123

My Parker Mojo Dud
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2006, 08:10:12 PM »
you shouldnt have gotten either guitar in that condition...seems like parker is slowly getting cheaper and cheaper with their quality...This is the 5th horror story ive heard on US models..its not right..we deserve an explenation from parker

I deserve a spanking