Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: piezo saddles ,trem bar & noise  (Read 6125 times)

Offline bohemianhwy

piezo saddles ,trem bar & noise
« on: April 11, 2006, 08:30:45 PM »
Hi:

When I play through the piezo and use the trem bar theres  crackling so I know I saw somewhere else in this forum something about the wires that connect the saddles to the powerchip being very thin and delicate , does anyone had this problem? also how do I get to the saddles to check them out ?

Thanks[:)]
Bohemian Hwy

Offline rt0412

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 07:08:21 PM »
I really don't have any ready solution on how to fix the "cracking". I have never experience it. I don't have a P-38, I have a NiteFly which is very similar. Both the Fishman bridge and Parker bridge have 6-element piezo transducer but each might be constructed a little bit differently. Anyway, I'll give you some suggestions, but keep in mind that I'll be describing a NiteFly bridge not a Fishman bridge...

If you take off the tremolo cover, you'll see that the saddles have thin wires soldered to a small pc strip. The output is then taken from that strip with a thin coaxial cable that goes to your piezo amp. Carefully tap (with a ballpen or pencil) each of the wires coming from the saddles and see if you can get that "cracking" sound. Also, try to tap or move the coaxial cable (piezo output lead) a little. If there's anything wrong with any of the piezo connections, you should be able to  reproduce that cracking sound.

If you can't, we'll have to think of some other ways to isolate the problem. It might be a good idea to take pictures of the bridge from the tremolo cover side and email it to me.

quote:
Originally posted by bohemianhwy

Hi:

When I play through the piezo and use the trem bar theres  crackling so I know I saw somewhere else in this forum something about the wires that connect the saddles to the powerchip being very thin and delicate , does anyone had this problem? also how do I get to the saddles to check them out ?

Thanks[:)]
Bohemian Hwy

« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 07:08:53 PM by rt0412 »

Offline bohemianhwy

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 11:34:43 PM »
Thanks RT

, OK so I peeked at the saddle connections and they appear fine , however now I notice that the "crackling" happens even I if just pull the trem bar without playing a note  and also it is the Low E and A that are doing this , so, bad saddles?? , can we assume that the preamp is OK at this point? it looks perfectly allright and all conections seem tight, , the mags a are playing just fine directly (by passing the powerchip) with no noise and have a pretty good sound.

Offline rt0412

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 01:00:23 AM »
Try loosening (tune down) the low E & A strings and then tune back up again. Could be that the low E & A strings are binding someplace... could be the nut or could be some grooves formed on the saddle.

quote:
Originally posted by bohemianhwy

Thanks RT

, OK so I peeked at the saddle connections and they appear fine , however now I notice that the "crackling" happens even I if just pull the trem bar without playing a note  and also it is the Low E and A that are doing this , so, bad saddles?? , can we assume that the preamp is OK at this point? it looks perfectly allright and all conections seem tight, , the mags a are playing just fine directly (by passing the powerchip) with no noise and have a pretty good sound.

Offline catoro

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 04:24:25 AM »
Hi … I’ve just buy a Parker P38 second handed form a guy how buy it in august last year and never play it.
When I’m using the piezo system , there is a buzz in the fifth string (A)... I guess my problem is similar to yours...

When bending, the noise can be heard as well.
Since I live in Spain, there is almost nothing I can do from here…

could this problem be originated by a faulty saddle?
-----------------
Donostia - Spain
Parker Classic 1999,
Parker P38, 2003
Epi Sheraton II, 1998
Gibson Les Paul Tribute 60, 2011
Gibson Les Paul Studio, 2012

Offline gitallelo

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 05:23:21 PM »
hello parkerplayers
few years later and still the same problem.i have a second hand nitefly mojo and piezo e6 is not working propper.specialy when iuse the trembar it stops transmitting and starts to crackle immediately.i can fix almost everything on a electric guitar, but with piezo i have no experience. who has?
moritz

Offline Rockarrista

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 11:28:53 PM »

happens to me something similar, active and piezo sounds bad, like when a cable is connected only to the amplifier, very distorted. That be?
Parker fly mojo

Offline HairBear

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 12:10:41 AM »
I believe I have found a way to temporarily fix, or, possibly get more life out of near dead, buzzy Fishman piezo saddles. To me, it seems the small contact piece the string has contact with, gets worn away, making the string set poorly. I played around enough with it to notice the buzz had gone away after I cut a small piece of guitar string(B or E) and placed it underneath the string right over the piezo contact area, perpendicular to the string. Voila! The buzz was gone!

Now, there is no way I'm going to be able to play all night with a little sharp piece of string sticking out of the big E string saddle. So, I decided to try using a small piece of folded up tinfoil, or aluminum foil to be precise, to the shape and size of the small piezo contact area on the saddle and replaced the string with it. Again! Voila! It works beautifully! I confirmed it with a second try on the other buzzy D string and BAM! It works again!

So, I have successfully fixed both my large E and D saddles from that annoying intermittent, buzzy, distorted, near dead sound with household aluminum foil! I hope this helps any one with this problem. Please let me know if it works for you too.

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 08:18:11 AM »
HairBear, yeah that's clever. Those piezo elements in the saddles need the pressure from the string to get a good contact in order to sound good. Good trick to know in case it ever happens to me, good temporary fix.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
http://www.DIYguitarist.com
http://www.myspace.com/j201jams

Re: piezo saddles ,trem bar & noise

Offline showmeproof

Re: piezo saddles ,trem bar & noise
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 09:27:38 PM »
I have a Fly Deluxe, an NFV-M, had a P-38, and just traded a NF-A for a NFV2 as a side trade on a K-Line Truxton.     I was a bit disappointed when I found that the low E piezo did not work on the NFV2.

Turns out the wire was just looped and touching the A.  Very thin shield on the wire and it caused a grounding problem.  All I had to do was separate the two to make sure they were not touching.