Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: fret wear  (Read 1356 times)

Offline dmj

fret wear
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2006, 03:20:47 PM »
well i didnt think a question asked out of a legitimate corcern for pre-mature fret wear would cause such cynicism.Im just a guy thats concerned about what I perceive as a mystery,as I dont to my knowledge abuse my pm-20 .Yeah at times I can bang away ,but I dont bend the strings excessively.The fret wear is up and down the board.I do thank you for the advice about using softer knickle strings.

fret wear

Offline jamrcat

fret wear
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2006, 03:52:35 PM »
quote:
I dont to my knowledge abuse my pm-20 .Yeah at times I can bang away ,but I dont bend the strings excessively.
Glad to hear from you dmj! [:D] Have you come to any conclusions about your fret wear? I've really been watching my frets and I have not experienced anything out of the ordinary. I have chosen to stay with nickel wound strings. I play excessively and have a Washburn solid body (PRS copy)from the 80's that have nickel frets that show very minimal wear.

This discussion has prompted me to try some different brands of the same size strings (10-46's), and I am shocked at the difference from one manufacturer to another. I currently have my second set of Fender Nickel wounds on and they have been much more consistent and smooth sounding than the GHS Boomers I was accustom to. My next set to try will be the popular D'Addario XL's.[:)]

Bellingham, WA
"A Fly for each hand!"

fret wear

Offline dmj

fret wear
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2006, 06:40:15 PM »
to respond to jamrcats query abouts any conclusions ,I  can only say that I'll give the nickle strings a shot and hope for the best. thanks again for the advice.

fret wear

Offline TimF

fret wear
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2006, 04:04:36 PM »
I know this thread has collected a little dust, but here's a high-rez closeup of my PM20 frets/fretwear that I took a couple weeks ago, but never posted.

Picture was taken at about the 5th-7th fret. Depth of field makes it hard to get focused on strings, frets and fretboard at that distance, but demonstrates how much fretwear my PM20 has sustained in 7 months with a relatively light amount of use. I would prefer to see nothing but light scratches, but there is some noticeable fretwear - nothing exteme though. Compared to my 20-year old Kramer, I think they ARE, in fact, wearing more quickly.

Maybe fretwire IS getting softer.

Also, I guess in reading dmj's final posts, it appears his playing style is normal but he was using something other than nickel strings, and doesn't say specifically what he was actually using. A bit enigmatic - it would be nice to know exactly what he was using.

Not that I'm considering using anything other than nickel, 'specially after this thread.

TimF

2005 PM-20 Honeyburst Mappa Burl
2003 Ibanez S470DXQM
1986 Kramer "American" Baretta I
1970's Madiera 12-string acoustic
Line 6 PODxt
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 05:43:50 PM by TimF »
2003 Ibanez S470DXQM
Line 6 PODxt

fret wear

Offline jamrcat

fret wear
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2006, 07:12:41 PM »
quote:
I know this thread has collected a little dust, but here's a high-rez closeup of my PM20 frets/fretwear that I took a couple weeks ago, but never posted.
TimF, I am unable to view your picture. I appreciate your post on this subject, I'm watching my fret wear closely as well. Nothing so far and my Parker has been getting  heavy use! [^]

Bellingham, WA
"A Fly for each hand!"

fret wear

Offline TimF

fret wear
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2006, 10:54:54 AM »
Rickey - personal mail me through my profile link and I can get it to you some other way, if you're really interested in seeing the picture. Don't know what's up with forum images sometimes  :\\

I've got more very high-rez original digi-pics, but they aren't much more desciptive than the one I posted. I may take a few more up and down the fretboard just to document the fretwear over time, and also take some of the Kramer just to compare the two. Although that's not really a fair comparison, since the Kramer's got the Floyd on it - less string-bending.

Sounds like you're in the fortunate position of not experiencing any problems. This whole thing doesn't appear to be getting any clearer - go figure. Goes back to my original reply, I guess: strings & style, and possibly manufacturing/material variances.

TimF

2003 Ibanez S470DXQM
Line 6 PODxt
2003 Ibanez S470DXQM
Line 6 PODxt

fret wear

Offline jamrcat

fret wear
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2006, 11:13:11 AM »
quote:
Rickey - personal mail me through my profile link and I can get it to you some other way, if you're really interested in seeing the picture. Don't know what's up with forum images sometimes :\\

Done! I can't seem to post pic's as well, so I use the free photobucket site and post url's. [:)]

Bellingham, WA
"A Fly for each hand!"

fret wear

Offline dmj

fret wear
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2006, 11:23:26 PM »
i just received 12 sets of cf martin knickel 9"s the other day.i bought them from "string this" .com in bulk unpackaged sets.they feel and sound great ,less than 3 bucks a set with shipping. i hope these "softer" strings will retard the fret wear,if not i'll cry like a baby. you know i really like my pm20 and i'd like to keep it .

fret wear

Offline jamrcat

fret wear
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2006, 11:37:11 PM »
quote:
i just received 12 sets of cf martin knickel 9"s the other day.i bought them from "string this" .com in bulk unpackaged sets.they feel and sound great ,less than 3 bucks a set with shipping. i hope these "softer" strings will retard the fret wear,if not i'll cry like a baby.
Sounds great dmj! I haven't experienced any negative wear and I'm watching real close. I'm still using the Fender and Ghs nickel strings and i'm happy with them. Be sure to post how well those Martin strings work for you after you've tried a few sets on! [;)]

Bellingham, WA
"A Fly for each hand!"