Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AER vs Schertler vs Fishman  (Read 1146 times)

Offline guitarmanuk

AER vs Schertler vs Fishman
« on: June 19, 2007, 07:05:20 AM »
I have pretty much narrowed down my choice of acoustic amp to either the AER Compact 60, the Schertler David or the Fishman Loudbox.

They all come in at about the right money and they all have the 2 channels I want.  I want to use it for the piezos on function band gigs and for guitar and sax on the duo gigs.  They all have the DI outs so I can add a SRM 450 for the duo if required to give a bit of headroom.

Has anyone tried any of these or even better had the chance to A/B any of them?  I don't have a dealer close to me that carries all 3 of them or 2 of the 3 to be able to try them.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

David

1997 Parker Fly Classic transparent Teal Green

www.dancineasy.co.uk my wedding/function band
www.saxandguitar.co.uk my sax and guitar duo
David

1997 Parker Fly Concert Butterscotch

Offline 908ssp

• http://www.myspace.com/alexsattenuator
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 09:46:14 AM »
You don't have to worry about it with your 1997 Fly but the new Powerchip preamp has issues switching to stereo with some amps. If I was in the market for one [instead of already having bought an amp it doesn't work with] I would want one it did work with correctly. That said I have no idea how to check it other then using a new Fly to test it. There is a work around and that is to use a direct box or acoustic effects pedal between the guitar and amp not a huge problem just a bit inconvenient. I thought you should at least be aware of it in case you had a new Fly on order.

[^]

Alex

Offline guitarmanuk

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 10:02:30 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by 908ssp

You don't have to worry about it with your 1997 Fly but the new Powerchip preamp has issues switching to stereo with some amps. If I was in the market for one [instead of already having bought an amp it doesn't work with] I would want one it did work with correctly. That said I have no idea how to check it other then using a new Fly to test it. There is a work around and that is to use a direct box or acoustic effects pedal between the guitar and amp not a huge problem just a bit inconvenient. I thought you should at least be aware of it in case you had a new Fly on order.

[^]

Alex

Thanks Alex.  I am keeping my eyes open over here for another Fly so that is something to consider with the refined model.

David

David

Offline cy2989

• http://chrisyoungportraits.com
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 08:50:18 PM »
Everyone raves about the AER amps.  I've not tried one but I would like to.

Offline guitarmanuk

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 05:45:47 AM »
Well, I have taken the plunge and bought an AER Compact 60-2.  I was looking at an AER Domino, as that is 120 watts, but it went for a bit too much money.  I put a bid on a Schertler David and then went back to have another look on the bay.  On came a 2 month old Compact 60-2 that had never been out of the house, so is effectively brand new.  The best new price I could find here in the UK was around $540 with delivery.  I got this one for $425 with delivery, so I am well pleased.

I now have the stereo cable, splitter box from Paul M and 2nd amp on the way.  I'll report back when the whole set up is complete.

I also have a boutique twin tube over-drive pedal on the way, so I have an exciting week ahead of me.[:D]

David

David

Offline rt0412

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 09:59:16 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by 908ssp

[^]

Alex

That's probably because the SWR Strawberry Blonde also has a "smart switch" of it's own and refuses to cooperate with the PowerChip... Quote from the owner's manual - "The input “senses” either a magnetic or piezo pickup, therefore separate inputs or a selector switch is not needed (as on other acoustic amplifiers)."

Too many smart cooks spoil the broth...

Rolly