Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Atlanta  (Read 5426 times)

Offline Padraic

Atlanta
« on: March 23, 2008, 04:09:13 AM »
I was wondering if anyone (BrainWorm, ChicagoKid, I'm certain that there are others) would be interested in getting together for jamming, maybe some fooding, etc. I am up for it! Anyone else?

Padraic
Atlanta, GA
1998 Parker Fly Artist!!! w/Gen 2's
(I have other guitars, I just haven't touched them since I got my Artist)
Sovtek Mig 50-H
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Orange Tiny Terror
Marshall MF280 4x12
Custom cabinet w/ Eminence 1x12
Sovtek upright 2x12
Luthier
Owner of Mullycrushed Custom Instruments

Atlanta

Offline BrainWorm

Atlanta
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 02:22:45 AM »
It might work. Need a place to do it. Plus my playing is so basic you might get bored. If I'm jamming I'm singing some so I'll need to get a mic and amp for vocals. I'd most likely use a Fender Princeton for guitar or maybe a Mesa RoadKing for guitar and the Princeton for vocals. The logistics of moving equipment around Atlanta is not  a small deal. I live on a second floor and moving a Fender Twin Reverb is not going to happen. Took it to Jeff Bakos once and learned my lesson. Saturdays or Sundays would be the day. I need to get a dolly to move the Twin Reverb. Going to jam is a car full of equipment. Two guitars at least. Unless it is a very quiet jam,  enough for unamped vocals. I don't see it that quiet with electric guitars. Takes some preparation to do it. Wish I had a Bose L1 system. $3,000.

"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."

Atlanta

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Atlanta
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 06:57:54 AM »
Take some pressure off yourself BW. You're not giving a concert.

Basic is the only way to jam. Its all just for fun right?

What you need is a Fly, a cord, and a battery lunchbox amp. I love my Vox DA5 (125 bucks).

If you need more than that, youre trying too hard. [;)]

A few Flys in my soup
A few Flys in my soup

Atlanta

Offline BrainWorm

Atlanta
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 03:36:53 AM »
If basic works then just the Fender Princeton amp would do it.  But just playing guitar without singing is not so interesting for me because I don't know much notes to play. And singing over electric guitars without a mic is not a good idea. In Atlanta you cannot leave musical equipment in a car for a minute so even parking gets important.

Atlanta

Offline Padraic

Atlanta
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 10:26:41 AM »
Sorry for the tardiness of my reply, I have been having some medical issues of late so I've been in and out of a pain med induced sleep. Nothing serious, before anyone worries!

As for the amp issues, I do not have the amps in question, but at my house do have a full music room where my band practices and a full (such as it is) p.a. that can accommodate vocals. for amps, right now I have what is listed in my signature (Sovtek Mig 50H; Orange Tiny Terror; Epiphone Valve JR head) I also have a very old solid sate Marlboro G10r something or other that is pretty ridiculous, but that I keep about because while it sounds bad, it sounds bad in a pretty cool way. My roommate/songwriting partner has a Marshall Artist 30, but it needs to be taken to the aforementioned Bakos guru to be de-crackled. Another kink is that my lease is up at the end of April and I (unexpectedly) will probably be moving, so we will have to postpone anything until after the move. If you are actually interested though, as soon as I have any idea as to what is happening with the move, etc I will def. let you know!

Padraic
Atlanta, GA
Sovtek Mig 50-H
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Orange Tiny Terror
Marshall MF280 4x12
Sovtek upright 2x12
Luthier

Atlanta

Offline BrainWorm

Atlanta
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 02:15:24 AM »
Padraic if you get a chance go to Jeff Bakos' shop. It's like a history of rock n' roll with all the amps in there. Jeff had a recording studio also, I guess he still has it. I listened to some songs recorded there I found on the web. Used to be  able to park on  the sidewalk in front of the shop but now I think the police will ticket you. I need to get a portable dolly just for that trip from the parking lot. Jeff keeps the door locked so just because it's locked does not mean he is not there. I telephoned before I went over.

There is this shop also for amp repair, but only tube amps:
http://www.andrewsamplab.com/index.html

Atlanta

Offline Padraic

Atlanta
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 02:50:21 AM »
I've been in Jeff Bakos' repair shop before and it is awe inspiring! I had a silverface 4x10 Bassman that has gone missing that I was looking for speakers at one point and trundled into his space. I also over the years have known a few people who have recorded at his space and liked it :)

I have only heard of Andrews Amp Lab. Neither good nor bad.

Padraic
Atlanta, GA
Sovtek Mig 50-H
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Orange Tiny Terror
Marshall MF280 4x12
Sovtek upright 2x12
Luthier

Atlanta

Offline BrainWorm

Atlanta
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 02:33:54 AM »
Nice to hear some people liked recording at Jeff Bakos. That's the first report I've heard on recording there.